Thursday, August 23, 2012

Warming Up Alas

6:25
7:02
Up at 6:30, the sun still hidden behind the shoreline, somewhat hazy and still cool, 56 degrees though it's warming up each day, perhaps in the 80's by the weekend.  I am not looking forward to the heat but it happens every year as school starts.  In fact, that's one of my most vivid memories from my youth, the start of school in September, the heat and sun, the wish to just stay home and jump into Lake Erie.  It lasted only a few days but they were memorable, no air conditioning, a hot classroom, sticky jeans and shirt, and a new teacher. It's even worst in some areas  now as school starts in mid to late August, most likely so football can get their games in before the bad weather.  In Kansas City, where my grandchildren attend, they started around August 17th.

Bronze of Lucille Ball in Celeron Lake Park
Goose Creek outlet

Yesterday was another fine day on the lake, sunny and warm, with a constant breeze, enough so you might need a shirt on at the end of the dock.  Early on, I went into Jamestown, a quick visit to the dentist, then I stopped in Lakewood, parked my car, and took and hour bike ride, a circle, north to Goose Creek, back through Lakewood to Celeron, the statute of Lucy, then back to Lakewood, a cup of coffee at Ryders, and home.  It was a good ride, not much traffic along lake drive, fairly flat, with minimal riding on #394.   I will do it again.

When I returned home, Evie had cut the lawn again, so the lawn looked like a golf course, a rich green because of the rain we have had the last week or two.  Our yard, her garden, are really healthy looking, especially since Evie weeded most of Tuesday.  After spending time on the dock reading and fishing some, we both went for a short kayak ride, over to Long Point, to the bay, back to Wells Bay and home.  The algae bloom along the curve of Long Point Bay was like green paint, viscous, so that we just turned around because it was covering our paddles.  Once we got out into open water, where there was a wind, where the water was not stagnant, the water was better.  I remember this from last year as well, perhaps not as widespread as this year.  I am just not sure how long it will last, nor how unhealthy it is for someone to swim in it.  I know the CI' beaches have been closed off and on and have heard the rumor that some have gotten sick from swimming in the lake though I am not sure how this was proved.  I think I'll get out my rubber boots so I don't even have to step in the glop.  Hopefully, it will  be short lived.

For dinner, we made ribs, with sweet potato fries and cole slaw, and watched a fairly new movie called Bernie with Jack Black.  It's an off beat film, based on a true story.  It takes place in a small Texas town, where the assistant funeral director becomes the town's most admired and loved character, by his generosity, care, and good deeds.  He befriends the most detested person, a niggardly widow (Shirley Mac Claine), at first enjoys her company but then ends up being terrorized by her.  In a moment of insanity, he shoots her dead.  The town rallies behind him, making excuses for his actions, but the prosecutor takes the trial out of town, and he's convicted and sentenced to life in prison.  He's still there and this movie was made about him.  I would give it two stars, not as good as I had hoped but worth watching if you have nothing else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...