Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dense Fog and Cold, Ah Fall Is Coming

7:00
View of Niagara River from Whirlpool Park

Niagara Falls with Canada in background

The Falls

Niagara River from Bike/Hiking path


Bridge Over Niagara River
Up at 7:00, 52 degrees outside, lots of fog over towards Long Point, a couple of young kids fishing off of Pine Hill dock, just silhouettes in the morning sun. I can see the steam/fog, moving north, above the lake's surface.  No fishing boats to speak of, just the twittering of birds and NPR.  The start of a good day because Evie's back at the lake. It's been forty seven years.

Yesterday was a busy day, a beautiful day, a day for lots of driving, some biking, including a trip to Niagara Falls, the Galleria Mall, and the Buffalo airport.  Before heading towards Buffalo, I did a quick cleaning up of the house, making sure it was in order for Evie.  It took longer than expected as usual even though it was in good shape when I started.  O, yea, I also put together a eggplant and tomato pasta for our dinner tonight.  I left for Niagara Falls, bike in tow, around 11:45 and took #  90, then #75 to the #190 which took me across Grand Island and the Niagara River to the Deveaux Woods Park, a park adjacent to the Whirlpool Park, about four/five miles below the Falls. It took a little over two hours.  I parked my car and rode through the park, crossed a street, entered the Whirlpool Park, a mile or two from Niagara University, and found the trail/path which winds its way along the Niagara River, one way to the Falls, the other towards the University.  I wasn't sure what to expect and it was a combination of asphalt, some concrete, but mostly dirt trails, fenced in at times, but open at others.  At times, I had to leave the trail and ride along the road, as the pathway was clogged by branches or the gorge took it over.  I was surprised at how unkempt it was, how unused, especially compared to the wonderful path along the Letchworth Gorge along the Genesee River.  One would think it would be a path well traveled by tourists.  In fact, when I had to leave the path, to avoid a business set along the path, the workers had no idea there was a path along the Niagara River Gorge.  The views along the way were spectacular, of the rushing rivers, a brilliant blue with white foam. At times, riding was even a bit dizzying, especially when there was no fence, just a few feet of path between you and the couple hundred foot drop of the Gorge.  Needless to say, I rode slowly and carefully.

It took me a little over a half hour to get to the Falls viewing promenade, crowded with tourists at this time of the year.  The path continues up the river but I chose to cross a pedestrian bridge, over the Niagara, rushing violently towards the Falls, to the other side and another vantage point of the Falls, an area with shops, food stands, a park for enjoying the pleasure of sitting/viewing the falls.  I was surprised by the number of foreigners (I don't know why) visiting the falls, lots of Muslims, many women in chadors, surprising me.  Many Asians of course mixed in with fat, unhealthy, sloppily dressed Americans (stereotyping, sorry) filled out the tableaux.  I relaxed at a bench, ate my peanut butter and honey sandwich, drank some water, then headed back to Whirlpool Park.  On the way back, I ended up on a couple of paths I had missed coming to the Falls, one which would have taken me down to the water level.  Needless to say, I got back on the proper path to the Park.  There's a lot more to explore if you have the time.  I would have liked to have gone beyond the Falls for another five to ten miles.  Next time.

I then rode back to De Veaux Woods Park, passing one or two people along the path, an easy ride or walk though mostly wooded areas.  Because it was too early to go to the airport, I took the #290 south to # 90, to the Walden Galleria Mall, walked around there for about an hour, then picked Evie up at the Buffalo airport at 5:50, ten minutes late.  We drove home through Fredonia, stopped at Mc Donalds because we were hungry and did not want to cook when we got home.  We arrived home about 7:30 to an amazing view of our house, Evie's garden, the lawn and lake.  What a beautiful spot.  We watched another episode of Political Animals, a pretty bad show and went to bed early as Evie was exhausted by her trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...