Thursday, August 16, 2012

First Morning at Letchworth State Park




Middle Falls

Upper Falls

Gorge and Genesee River

Four to Five Hundred Foot Drops
It’s just 6:00 in the evening, the sun is peaking though the pines as I sit in my beach chair, outside my tent, beer and kielbasa nearby.  I am in the Letchworth State Park, as I mentioned, close to two and a half hours from Woodlawn.  I got here about 1:30, taking my time,  going back roads, getting off of #86 at Randolph, up through Little Valley, Ellicottville, then # 242 to Arcade, where I took #39 almost to Castile, then to the park.  I was not sure where to enter, as they have three or four entrances.  I paid eight dollars to enter for the day but got it back when I signed to camp for two days.  The campground was about ten miles from the entrance.  It cost me 41 dollars for two nights and I  got to pick out my spot, among the pines and other campers, not far from the WC.  It’s a very pleasant place to camp, with a store as well, laundry facilities, so you could stay here for a while and be comfortable.  It took me about 35 minutes to set up the tent, get things in order and feel at home.

I then spent the next three hours driving around the park, getting my bearings, as it’s 17 miles long, the west side following the gorge created by the Genesee River.  At the south end, I walked for about an hour along the seven miles gorge path,  to both the Upper and Middle Falls, spectacular water falls, though you cannot get very close to them.  I checked on kayaking but no one could tell me much other than I would have to carry my kayak in and out unless I found someone else to paddle with, so I pretty much have given up the idea.  There’s no way I can carry my kayak out and up a hill to the car.  There were lots of people doing the same thing as me, driving to the various sights, not too many people hiking or riding bikes although within the campground, lots of people have bikes. The west side is the most crowded, with cars stopping at the various vantage points, taking pictures of the gorge, the river, and moving on.  
The Place to Stay, Glen Iris Inn

Glen Iris Inn Garden

I don’t much like this stopping in a car, taking a short hike, looking at the falls, taking a few pictures and moving on, though I guess I had to do it to get some idea of the topography.   Tomorrow, I am going to figure out a couple of hikes, one in the morning, one in the afternoon, where I will walk two or three mile loops each time.  I am going to try to get on the other side of the river, the east side, as it looks as though there are more hikes along that side.  This side is mostly along the rim of the gorge, with great views, but not a lot of hiking trails. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and warm with a chance of showers in the evening, just what I need on my first foray in the wild! It will be interesting to see how I sleep tonight, how early I get up, and what I will do if I get up at my usual time, 6:00.  Start hiking, read, or just go back to sleep? I am going off for a short bike ride, then out of the park to a bar/restaurant one of the workers mentioned is decent.

It’s now about 9:00 and I am sitting outside my tent, in the dark, listening to crickets and the conversations from neighboring tents.  I took a brief walk around our loop of campsites and lots of people have fires going, some in tents, some in big, comfortable RV’s, the good life I suppose.  I drove about eight miles, out through the north Mt. Morris gate and ate at a strange place.  It looked like an annex to a motel next door, and when I walked in, no one was in the place, not even the bar.  I sat down, ordered a beer, a chicken quesadilla, and by the time I left, the bar was full.  I picked a good place.  It’s now pitch black, Xmas lights only are visible on some trailers.  I did look more carefully at  the map and have some hikes planned for tomorrow, perhaps a bike ride as well.  Let’s see if I can read in my tent, or just enjoy the outside, sitting here, in the blackness of night. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...