Friday, September 25, 2026

Fog Rising Over Chautauqua Lake


6:26

6:40

8:21

8:30

It's 7:00, and I have been up since 6:20, watching the fog roll in, obscuring Long Point at the moment. I am not sure when to kayak because of the heavy fog along the shoreline as I look south. Well, it's 8:30; we are both up, and I just returned from a 50-minute paddle, most of the time in some fog.

Kayak Morning

Sun Rising


Fog Rising

Fishing In The Fog


Northern Sky

Thursday was another busy and good day overall. It began with an early paddle, then breakfast in Bemus at 8:00, and I returned home at 9:10 to finish up the blog and publish it. We got a few things done when I returned — basically getting rid of the lake flies on both porches and vowing to keep the lights off in the evening. I wanted to get in some exercise, so around 11:00 I drove to Mayville, parked my car, and rode Webb's Trail and Sea Lion Drive for 50 minutes on a fine, sunny, blue-sky afternoon. It felt good to be out doing something. Evie had lunch ready when I returned: ham, cheese, and tomato sandwiches and veggie soup.

I watched another episode of Lioness and read until 1:00, when we drove to Dunkirk for a 2:00 appointment with an orthopedist. First, they took more X-rays of both of Evie's knees, then we talked with the PA for a good half hour as he explained what he thinks is wrong with her knee: severe arthritis and a possible meniscus tear. He went through four options, the last being surgery, but suggested a steroid shot. We thought that was worth a try, so first he drained her knee of fluid and blood before giving Evie the shot. She'd had one a couple of years ago on that knee, so she knew what to expect. We made another appointment in a month and drove home, hoping the shot would work.

We were home by 4:15, and I wanted to get one of my chores done, so I grabbed a stepladder, bucket, squeegee, and newspaper and washed and cleaned the front windows. It took me half an hour, and fortunately the lake flies didn't seem to bother me. By the time I was done, it was wine time, so we relaxed for a good hour, listening to Jake Tapper make fun of our clown in the White House. He would be amusing if he weren't so upsetting. We had an easy dinner: Wegmans General Tso's chicken over rice. It was actually decent, cheap, and tasty. We watched the usual until 8:30, then I watched a few minutes of the Fever game, the NFL game, then a full episode of Lioness before going up to read my new novel, Allen Eskens's The Heavens May Fall.

Unbelievable:



1 comment:

  1. If you haven’t already , you might try a bug light on your porch to help keep those lake flies away. They don’t like the orange yellow color of the bulb as much. We have a problem with moths , and the bulb seems to help.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...