Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Whimper, Not A Bang


7:45
Up at 7:00 to a snowy wonderland, as everything is white, or appears to be, sky, lake, and snow covered yard.  I can barely make out Long Point, the snow outside 'silent and deep.' I am already thinking about snow shoeing somewhere this morning even if it's 14º out, no problem as long as there's no wind.

Yesterday was another quiet day, as Evie still felt poorly, so we did not do much, mostly read and watched some TV.  I did drive off in a snow storm, to get a coffee at Ryder's Cup, then do some last minute shopping at Wegman's, a madhouse, as half of Jamestown had the same idea, stock up for the New Year.  Cheerios and grapes were the only foods that appealed to Evie, so I picked them up for her, along with some medicine.  And, of course, some goodies for me, cinnamon ice cream, one of my favorites, some hummus, and veggies for our dinner.  Just as I got to Hogans,  a white out occured but fortunately, the road was not busy, and people were driving with great care.

When I got home, Evie had worn herself out making a pot of vegetable soup, so she was resting.  I pulled the bread dough out of the laundry room, where it had been rising for the past eighteen hours, shaped it, popped it into a heated dutch oven, and in less than an hour, I had a  great loaf of bread, at least from the outside.  We will see what it tastes like today.
No Knead Bread
The rest of the afternoon I read, trying to finish The Goldfinch by tomorrow at 3:00 and I still have 40% to go.  I alternated reading with shoveling our parking area, as we must have gotten close to twelve inches of snow yesterday, light and fluffy because of the cold and easy to shovel.  Around 4:45, I pulled on my snowshoes and went bushwhacking, making paths in the snow in the Woodlawn and Victoria woods, great fun.  It reminded me of my childhood when I would go out in the woods behind our house in the winter cold and imagine I was Hawkeye, from The Last of  the Mohicans,  making my way through unknown woods.
Woodlawn at 5:00 PM
Victoria Woods at Dusk
For dinner, we made breaded pork chops, potatoes, salad, and Brussels sprouts, the first meal that Evie has eaten since Sunday.  It tasted good to her, an optimistic sign.  Both of us were in bed by 11:00, me reading, Evie falling into a deep sleep immediately.

Today will be another easy day of reading, watching football for a few minutes, then going back to my book and I either cross country ski or snow shoe, for sure, enjoying the newly fallen snow.  And I hope Evie starts feeling better today.  We have cancelled out New Year's Day dinner with the McClure's, as Evie, understandably, did not feel up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...