Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Another Gray, Wet, Overcast Tuesday

8:00
Fishing at Dawn
Up at 7:10, a dreary morning, probably day as well, not particular cold, 37º, the high for the day says the weatherman.  The lake looks slick, a thin skin of water over the ice.  A couple of intrepid fishermen are sitting on the ice, just off of Long Point.

Yesterday, weather wise, was kind of blah, no sun, light rain, melting yards, muddy, dirty streets.  But it did not keep me from yoga, Evie from working out on the YMCA for the first time this year.   I went in the morning, class as 9:30, and I feel like I am back in the routine, enjoying the class and the other students.  When I got home, we put together dinner, a pork, white bean, sweet potato and stout stew that I found on a blog, I think Lotte and Doof.  A bit of preparation, cutting up the pork shoulder, browning the meat, then just let it cook in the oven, at a low heat for a couple of hours.  Love the aroma.
Nut Hatch
Mourning Dove
After lunch, Evie drove off to the Y, then to Wegman's, enjoying an afternoon out on her own for the first time since early December.  I started watching a futuristic thriller, Elysium, with Matt Damon, but fell asleep after an hour so it must not have been that thrilling.  I am keeping at my book Wolf Hall, not as compelling as I had hoped and long. Cromwell could certainly teach today's politicians a thing or two about governing, Henry VIII about womanizing.  Evie returned home about 4:00 and I decided to drive to Smith Library before it closed, to pick up a book I had on hold.  It's so easy to get books, just put in a hold on line, and in a couple of days, I get a call to come an pick up the book, from a library anywhere in Chautauqua/Cattaragus County.

We had the stout stew for dinner, quite good, and along with home made bread for dipping in the gravy, and a salad, we had a fine dinner.  We watched another silly or so we think episode of The Good Wife (tired of the Will/Alicia glances) and then the first episode of a new series on HBO called True Detective which we both really liked.  What a difference from the typical cop shows I have tried to get into recently, like Justified, Ray Donovan, and Banshee.  True detective has no silly scenes, where the main character (sheriff) beats up or kills three or four guys by himself, like Buford Posser in Walking Tall. In True Detective both Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConnaughey are troubled though dedicated law officers, with lives influenced by both their past and crime work.  It's interestingly filmed and  told, with flashbacks, which keeps you guessing (but wanting to know) what is going on, which murder is being solved. We slowly realize there are two murders,  two stories, woven together, one set in the present, one set 17 years ago, which seems to be the center of the series.  Well worth watching for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...