Sunday, January 12, 2014

Another Messy Day at The Lake

Seemingly Walking On Water
8:15
Up at 6:25, a dusting of snow or sleet, soon to be slush on the yard.  It's still mild out as I walk out on the back stoop, careful to avoid slipping on the ice. No fishing lights on the lake.  Perhaps they are wising up to the dangers of melting ice.  Nope..it's now 7:30 and there are a couple of tents out on the ice.

Saturday was not a day to be outside; the walks and roads in Woodlawn were ice, making it difficult to even walk to my car.  Slipping and sliding, I made it to the garage, to the Transfer Station, to yoga at 9:00.  The main roads were fine, not down around Woodlawn.  Yoga was crowded, everyone wanting to get out of the house on such a crummy day, gray, wet, a combination of rain and sleet much of the day.  Again, I recognized a number of students; class was typical for Chris, lots of talk, not enough asanas but a good way to start a weekend nevertheless.
Barb Cassell and Son Ian
I got home around 10:30, just in time, as good friends from Hudson, Barb and Ian, were stopping by for breakfast, after spending a couple of days skiing at Holiday Valley.  We had not seen them in months, especially Ian, who is a senior, now on break, from NYU.  We got caught up on the news, both in Hudson, at Allied, where Evie used to work, and at WRA.  They stayed till about noon, then headed back to Hudson in the rain.

I wanted to get outside but each time I tried, I slipped on the ice, making walking impossible.  The only fun of the afternoon was watching the fishermen trying to walk out to their sweet spots, slipping and sliding.  We wasted much of the day, sitting around, waiting for the NFL game to start, then we sat for hours in front of the tube, watching most of both games though I had little interest in the outcome.  It just seemed like the only thing to do on a Saturday in January.
Later Afternoon Gray
For dinner, I grilled a couple of steaks outside, as the rain did abate for a bit.  My steak was too rare, so I had to throw it back on to finish, to make it edible.  I have trouble grilling steaks for some reason; either they are too well done for Evie, too rare for me, rarely just right.  But the mushrooms and fried potatoes were great, as was the homemade blue cheese dressing on the salad.  It was the kind of night where we sat dazed, from so much TV, watching yet another crunching tackle, hoping it would soon be 10: 30, so we could go up to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...