Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The End and Beginning of Something

7:45
A Light Snow, Early Morning, Solitary Light
Back to my early morning routine, as I was up before 6:00, a cold morning, 16º outside, only 57º inside so I had to turn up the heat.  Utter darkness out, even now at 6:50, not a touch of light.  No snow over night although we may have lake effect snow later in the day.  We are going to have a quiet New Year's, as Evie has a fever and a bad cough, alas.

Yesterday was cold and icy, roads in various parts of Chautauqua were dangerous.  When we went out around 11:00, to the doctor's office, the window's of my car were completely frozen, so I had to turn on the car, get the heater going. While Evie was at the doctor's office,  I went to Tops to stock up on groceries since we have not been home for a couple of weeks.  Tops, as usual, was not busy, one cashier at noon, which gives you some idea of how slow business is during off season.  After shopping, I picked up some prescribed antibiotics for Evie, stopped at the Lighthouse for some pork chops for tonight's dinner and a sub, which ended up being both yesterday's lunch and dinner.

Evie stayed in bed much of the afternoon and I read quite a bit of The Goldfinch, a book I am really enjoying, quite a ride with thirteen year old New Yorker, Theo Decker.  I did get outside around 4:30 and took a walk through the Woodlawn/Victoria woods, something I like to do at this hour for some reason.  Usually, the wind has died, the woods are getting dark, and I am alone in my thoughts, enjoying the crunch of the snow, the shadows from the trees, the cold and darkening sky.
A Darkening Kinney's Run, Woodlawn
Dinner was a half of sub sandwich and Kraft's macaroni and cheese.  You can tell that Evie's not feeling well when I have a sub and mac and cheese for dinner.  We stayed up till around 10:30, reading and watching TV, Evie finally enjoying some fruit, feeling a bit better as the antibiotics kick in. Hopefully she will be better this morning.

It's 7:10 and finally a glow outside, as the outlines of trees in our front yard are distinct but not much else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...