Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Another Fine Day On Deck, Hiking the Westside Overland Trail (M-L)

 
7:20
I am getting used to waking up to a dark house, especially if it's around 6:00.  I stumble around, trying to find the coffee pot, turn it on, find the remote to turn on NPR, get out a cup, pour my coffee and make my way to the couch.  I don't like a light on at this hour, preferring instead to sit in the dark and wait for the lake to slowly turn gray, watching the dawn lift it's veil of darkness.  My computer screen is the only light I and I even turn its intensity down because the brightness is obtrusive.  Later this morning, I have yoga because my teacher asked if I would take Tuesday's class this week rather than Wednesday, since I would have been the only student on Wednesday.  Being the flexible, good  guy that I am, I agreed since my days are usually wide open.
Most Trails Are The Same But Different

Floor of Hiking Trail

Sound of Water

Hiking Down a Valley

Yesterday seemed like it was going to be wet and overcast.  Despite this forecast, we wanted to get in a hike, so we decided to head back to the Westside Overland Trail, where we stopped on Saturday, and walk through the wet woods, bringing along slickers in case it rained.  We started on Stebbins Road, walked south to the turn around where we stopped on Saturday, completing the M to L section, a little over a mile out, a mile back.  It turned on to be a great walk, lots of variety, hardly damp, lots of pines and most of the deciduous trees still had their leaves, so we were always in the shade,  surrounded by green, staying cool yet working up a sweat.  We have one more 2.5 mile leg to walk and we will have completed the entire trail.  We both have commented on how little wildlife we see when we hike, few if any birds, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, or bears( thank goodness).  The only sounds, a babbling brook, the wind through the trees, the crunch of the leaves as we hike, a tree swaying, knocking against another trunk, sometimes the sound of car in the distance.  We were out over an hour but it was an excellent hike, one we will do again.  We came home via the Stedman/Sherman Road, as the sun came out, highlighting the vast green hay fields on both sides of the road and in the distance, framing the fields, the multicolored trees, leaves orange, red, yellow and brown. Lots of leaves still remain on the trees, despite Sunday night's rain.

Wind Break of Pines

Country Side Colors
During the the afternoon, Evie did some prepping for tonight's dinner, but most of the afternoon, she braved the wind, sitting on the dock, wrapped in fleece and blankets, determined to enjoy one more day out on the dock before fall really arrives, with a wind chill too extreme to sit out side.  Wimp that I am, I sat inside or out on the porch, with my Turkish tea, reading my new book.  Around 5:30, Evie started warming up the leftovers for dinner and to my delight, put together some buttermilk biscuits, the perfect accompaniment to our dinner of chicken, portabellos, and garlic spinach.  We watched The Good Wife, as things are beginning to fall apart at the law firm. Not much else of interest, so we spent the rest of the time channel surfing, until we went upstairs to read and eventually sleep.  
Buttermilk Biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...