Thursday, February 14, 2013

Blue and Pink Skies Start The Day


6:45



Sun Rising at 7:25
Add caption 7: 20

Up at 6:45 to the beginning of what looks like a sunny, warm day for February, high around 38º, most likely continuing the melt that started yesterday.  And unbelievably, two snow mobiles just roared by Long Point, past the fishing huts, and disappeared over towards Bemus Point.  This is the first time we have seen snow mobiles on the lake this year. Right now it's a cold 23º though it did not feel that cold when I went out to get the paper.

Home Made Pumpkin Pie
Yesterday was a  busy day for both of us.  We were up early and before I went to yoga, we got the upstairs cleaned and ready for the kids on Friday.  I went to yoga at 10:00 and it was a good work out, as I found my self working up a good sweat.  We also worked some in pairs, which is different but useful.  After yoga, I drove to Sugar Grove, PA, about 15 miles, as I mentioned yesterday, to the Town and Country Food Center, picked up a couple of half gallons of Pot O Gold milk, one chocolate, was tempted by the Dulce de Leche but stuck with chocolate.  I also bought some lamb/feta sausages, a speciality of the butcher; they make twelve different kinds of sausages.  I also stopped in the Hardware Store, an amazing, old fashioned place and bought an outdoor thermometer.  It's a neat little town, and also has cheap gas compared to New York.

When I  got home, Evie had made two soups, vegetable and Indian cauliflower, as well as more cookies for the grandchildren.  Mid afternoon, I went to the Smith Library to return some books and to the Lighthouse Grocery, to pick up a brisket and some ground beef.  It's nice to give them some business and they are cheaper than Wegman's or Topps usually.  Yesterday was the first day in which neither one of us walked or skied in quite a while.  It felt strange to stay inside most of the day.

By the way, my cousin, Bill Lange, who lives in Seattle, read about my difficulties with my No Knead bread and sent me a website for another versions, from Cook's Illustrated, which looks really interesting, made with honey, white vinegar and beer, along with the usual flour, salt, water, and yeast.  I am going to try it today.

Around 6:00, our good friends the Mc Clures, came over, and we went to the old standby, The Seezurh House for dinner.  For once, it was loud and crowded for some reason, with a group of guys enjoying the new dart board.  Evie and I had the special, a 10 oz. ribeye, salad, and potato for $9.99.  We heard the old chef was back, so Linda ordered the grilled tuna with wasabi and it was perfect, a nice change of pace from the usual fish fry.   We stayed till about 9:00, catching up, and we will see them again over the weekend no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...