Friday, November 16, 2012

Heavy Fog Blankets the Lake

7:15 as Fog Comes In
Tom's Point


An Ancient Black Locust

Knoll at Tom's Point


Slept in till after 7:00, came downstairs, and Evie was already up, on her IPAD; it's foggy outside, about 26 degrees. There was frost on the windows of my car, on the ground, when I picked up the paper.  The next few days are supposed to be nice, some sun each day, no rain, the good life.  As I write, the fog has really set in; when I got up, I could see the other side of the lake.  Now I can see just beyond our lake edge.  A brief note on fog follows:

"Ground fog usually begins on clear, calm nights. But, first, during the day, you need the sun to warm the ground. Then, as night falls and the temperature drops, the air cools to where it meets the dew point (The dew point is the temperature at which the air becomes 100% saturated) and becomes totally saturated) to where fog forms.This fog is more common in valleys because since cold air sinks, it tends to pool in low-lying areas and makes it easier to reach saturation point. 


A breeze will hinder this type of fog development though, as it will mix in the drier air from higher altitudes. Cloud cover also goes against ground fog development, as the clouds act like a blanket that keeps heat from radiating away and keeps it warmer near the ground."

What did we do yesterday?  Each day I ask myself that and the memories are vague until I press myself to think hard about what we did?  O, yea, the day started with me realizing that my car,  which I had just been repaired, was leaking antifreeze.  I had a sense there was a leak the night before and put newspaper under it to make sure.  So, I decided to go to breakfast in Bemus with the boys, then take my car back to Keystone, where the Accord was sitting, waiting to be fixed.  There were only two of us at the Bemus Point Inn, surprisingly, as I thought most were still in town.  Dick had just gotten back from a couple weeks in Florida, where he has condo.  We caught up on the election news and it reminded me  how our discussion might have been different if our republican friends or friend had been there.    Connie Schultz, the Cleveland Plain Dealer nationally syndicated columnist, had a column today in the Jamestown Post Journal about just that.  It seems most people just don't talk about the election if they are from differing parties.  If they do, it rarely ends with an amicable compromise or understanding.  From reading Lincoln's biography, this  passionate disagreement does not seem to much different from his times.

I dropped my car off at the garage, picked up the Accord, hopefully fixed, and drove home.  Evie and I decided to go for a walk at Long Point but as we drove past Hogan's, we changed our mind and decided to walk out to Tom's Point, it's starting point just behind Hogans.  It's a half mile out, about twenty minutes if you take your time, and surprisingly pleasant, though woods, open fields, past the Power Boat Club, out to the point, with it's view of Bemus Bay and Long Point.  Few leaves on the trees, lots of branches and trees down, leaves covering the path, it was a great walk.  The vista just beyond the Power Boat Club, on the hill just beyond the pea green house is spectacularly.  We wanted to drive home, pack a lunch, get our kayaks, and paddle here for a picnic.  It was that kind of day, and the sun brings out the best in us.  We then hiked all through Bootey Bay, through the Power Boat Club, around the four cottages, two quite old and unkempt, one newer, and one just built.  It's hard to tell which will be torn down if Mc Graw decides to create a development.  It is a huge piece of land, lots of lakefront as well, and could be a wonderful place to have a home.  The question is can they do it without harming the ecosystem.  In other words, don't try to do it on the cheap, by packing in as many homes on the lake front as you can.  Of course, he's going to try.  We ended up walking for just over an hour, went home to a squash and black bean soup and a salmon salad from last night's dinner.

At 3:30, the Mc Clures picked us up, back from their road trip to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, about a five and a half hour drive from Chautauqua.  We picked up my car at the Keystone and went to see the new James Bond movie, Sky Fall.  It got mixed reviews from us, as Ron enjoyed it, Linda not as much, and neither Evie nor I liked it at all.  For us, it was one big video game, with little tension or character development, just one shoot em up after another.  We did like the opening chase scene, set in Istanbul,  and some of the amazing views of Shanghai at night.  But that's about it.  For Ron, it was a typical Bond film, and one of the better one's at that.  We obviously went with different expectations. I can see his point but I don't think I will ever really like a James Bond film.    It's not my idea of entertainment.  Both Evie and I longed for the death of the villain so the film would end.

We ended up at the Seezuhr House, where else, for a couple of pitchers of Sam Adams Holloween Brew and debated the merits of the film and heard all about the Mc Clure's visit to Cooperstown.  It sounds like a quaint town, with great restaurants and lodging, as well as the Museum.  We got home around 9:00, watched a bit of news, read, and went to bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...