Friday, November 30, 2012

Edward Petkovsek, WW II Veteran Memorial



Evie and her sisters, Laura and Elaine
Jen, and her two boys, James and Henry
Jill and Evie's sister, Laura


Alex and Aunt Jean


We, Evie and I, and our two daughters, Beth and Jill are staying for a couple of days in the Diamond Resorts condos.  We are all here for the Memorial Service for my father in law, Edward Petkovsek.  We had a service a couple of weeks ago in Euclid, Ohio, and today, we are having one in Scottsdale, where he has lived on and off for twenty years.  Evie's four sisters are in town, as our other family members.  Many friends from the area will attend the service this morning at 10:00 at St Patrick's Catholic Church in Scottsdale.  Unfortunately, my son Tom and his daughter, Marlena, were supposed to be here but he came down with the flu yesterday and had to cancel his flight.  O, yea, for those who make fun of my mentioning my wake up time...I got up at 5:30, too early, but I was awake and could not get back to sleep.
With My  Lovely Daughter , Beth
Hiking the Desert

Yesterday was another day of picking up family from the airport, gathering the family together, and preparing for today's service.  Evie and I did manage to get a walk in, around the Aqueduct, through the desert scrub, about an hour Thursday morning.  We then packed up our things, as we were moving to a condo from my mother in law's condo in the afternoon.  We left for the airport around 12:30, to pick up Beth, my daughter who was flying in from CT.  It was an easy pick up, as the airport has easily accessible cell phone lots, about a minute from the  arrival gates.  We then went back to Evie' sister Claire's house, and spent much of the afternoon there, with other family members.  I picked up a rent a car for the next few days, then the four of us, drove to our condo and got settled.  It's pretty nice, each condo has two bedrooms, living rooms, an appointed kitchen, with dishes, silverware, all the things you would need for an extended stay.  After settling in, taking showers, we went back to Claire's where all the family gathered for a dinner, of baked ziti, lasagna, salad and ham.  We had a fun evening, catching up with Evie's sisters, Claire, Jean, Laura, and Elaine, and their families.  My two daughters, Beth and Jill, had not seen some of their aunts and cousins in almost ten years so it was fun for them to see everyone.  Some of the cousins may not have seen each other for fifteen years, as they are all pursuing their own lives in different parts of the States.  Quite a difference from my father in law's family, who all seemed to live in the Cleveland area , not straying to another state or god forbid, another country like Evie and I did.

We made a early night of it as all of us were tired, especially for those of us from the East Coast, where it was much later than the 9:00 when we headed back to our condo.  Evie and I watched TV for awhile, read, and went to bed by 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...