Sunday, March 4, 2012

A White Sunday Morning---Surprise

7:10
Up just around 7:00 and to my surprise, a thin blanket of snow covers not only the yard but also the lake.  Can winter be far behind.  Or Spring?  The wild winds have died down, with just a few branches down, the skies are gray (what else) and it's much colder today, 29 degrees as I write, a low today of 14 degrees, as I listen to Mike Mc Grath on You Bet Your Garden.  He's a bore, a know it all, sometimes interesting, but there's little else on Sirius at this hour.  Because of the snow, our bird feeders are busy; the birds seem to ignore the feeders somewhat when the ground is not snow covered.  Lots of gold finches, sparrows, and a couple of huge woodpeckers keep the feeders busy.  A couple of mourning doves and juncos tend to feed off the ground, rather than the feeders for some reason.  And the squirrel still works at getting to the feeders, not very successfully but he keeps  trying.

Yesterday, I went off to Saturday Yoga, restorative, and it was much more enjoyable than the day before. Evie stayed home, enjoyed just working around the house, a nice leisurely Saturday for her.  I picked up a few things at Weggies because we are having Gene and Trouty Heil over for dinner Sunday  Most of the afternoon, we just relaxed, watched TV, and read as it was windy and wet outside, so we did not take a walk.  For dinner, we had scallops, rice, and salad, something we have not had in quite a while.  It's strange that when I was young, my parents would make scallops and I hated them, yet now they are one of my favorites, especially with lots of garlic and butter.  Too bad they are outrageously expensive or we would have them more often.  Last night, we watched Broken Flowers, an older movie with Bill Murray, an aging bachelor who reluctantly takes a trip into his past, visiting his old lovers, to discover if one of them carried his son.  Slow moving, with occasional humor, it became tiresome after the first hour and the ending just  seemed to be too 'hip.'  The director/writer Jim Jarmusch, loved by the critics, is from Akron, Ohio.  His style is definitely recognizable, as each scene ends with a fade out, with no sense of montage, his defining feature.

I am reading, on my Kindle, Andrew Ross Sorkin's TOO BIG TO FAIL, a best seller about the fall of Wall Street in 2007.  I had heard it was a good read and I have to say I find it compelling, much more so than I would have thought.  Right now he is setting the stage by giving brief biographies of the major players like Hank Paulson,  Richard Fuld, Tim Geithner, and other Kings of the Universe.  An interesting world of power and unbelievable money, at least till the fall of Bear Stearns, signaling the decline of the rest of the power brokers.

Snow flurries for the morning, then cold in the afternoon, though not much accumulation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...