Friday, March 16, 2012

Fifty One Degrees at 6:20, Foggy and Warm (60's) Later Today

Fog Over Lake at 7:35




Kayak with Fishing Pole
It's strange to be up so early, 6:20, to a black house, black sky, with just a twinkling of lights off towards the east.  I did walk outside and it's warm and humid for this time of year.  I miss the crispness of a late winter morning.  Can there be such a thing as nostalgia for winter, in winter?  The past two days, however, contradicts my previous statement, as they have been exceptional, mostly blue skies and mild, perfect for being outdoors, though yesterday morning did see some thunderstorms.  Right now, at 7:09 it's foggy and I can just make out the flag and cairn, not much else.  A factoid alert:


There are many different types of fog, but fog is mostly formed when southerly winds bring warm, moist air into a region, possibly ending a cold outbreak. As the warm, moist air flows over much colder soil or snow, dense fog often forms. Warm, moist air is cooled from below as it flows over a colder surface. If the air is near saturation, moisture will condense out of the cooled air and form fog. With light winds, the fog near the ground can become thick and reduce visibilities to zero. 


Now the fog has lightened a bit, so I can actually see some clouds and just make out the shoreline towards Victoria though I would not want to be out fishing on the lake.  It's light gray now and though I cannot see Long Point, I can see some clouds up in the sky, as the fog seems to be hovering over the lake. 


Blue Heron
Late Afternoon Winter Sun
Yesterday was a lost day, though I had yoga in the morning and Evie did get some work done in the yard.  I had to head off to the Honda dealer to get an eight hundred dollar muffler put on my Pilot.  What ever happened to the 200 dollar muffler?  Unfortunately, the Pilot muffler does not come in pieces; if one part gets a hole in it, you have to replace the entire muffler.  I dropped off my car, pulled my bike out of the back, and rode off, just as the rain stopped.  I biked into Jamestown proper, mostly on side walks, exploring an area that I still am unfamiliar with despite having been downtown numerous times.  I stopped at the Labyrinth Press coffee shop, did some surfing on computer for about an hour, then went to the Prendergast Library, picked up two books and tried to find out if new Kindle book titles are published each month.  No.  I then headed back through unpleasant looking neighborhoods, the kind I mentioned the day before and just as I got back to the dealer, my car was ready.  I got home about 3:30, read a bit, and since it was so nice, I went out in my kayak to fish for about 45 minutes.  Caught nothing, no bites, but it was still great to be out on the lake.  I did see my first blue heron of the 2012, as I scared him out of the woods when I went fishing.


Reeds at Victoria
We had an easy dinner of potato pancakes, fried eggs, and salad.  The combination of eggs and potatoes has always been one of my favorite meals.  We then watched My Week With Marilyn, a pleasant enough diversion on a Thursday night.  Based on a true story, a young Englishmen, enamoured with film, gets thrown into the making of a film starring Marilyn Monroe, directed  by Sir Laurence Olivier in the late 1950's, just after Marilyn has married dramatist Arthur Miller.  Michele Williams plays Marilyn, troubled, insecure, poorly advised, misused and misunderstood by all except young Colin Clark, who ends up befriending her and becoming her anchor during the filming.  We do get a glimpse into the life of the world's most famous sex symbol, someone who just wants to be normal yet knows her sexuality is what makes her famous.  She's trapped by her image; no one wants to know Norma Jean.  Rather, they all want her to be the goddess of sex, both on the screen and in real life.  When they find out she wants to be normal, if that's possible, they try to change her into what they assume she is---Marilyn Monroe.  The young man who plays Colin Clark is wonderful; Kenneth Branagh as Sir Laurence, fair to middling.  I just cannot get over the change of the young man who was so wonderful in Henry the Fifth some twenty five years ago with Emma Thompson.  Everything changes, alas.   








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...