Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Last Cold Day of Winter?

6:15
6:50


Faux Deer Near Campground

Victoria Woods

Kinney's Run
Up earlier than usual, about 6:15 and the sky is already beginning to lighten off to towards Bemus, still gray and threatening towards Mayville, the north end of the lake.  The sun rises at 6:43 today but did not begin to peak over the eastern coastline until about ten minutes later, at 6:50.  Right now, at 6:58 it's fully risen, filling the frozen lake with it's light and it's 20 degrees outside.  The fireplace is on!

Yesterday, as usual, was Yoga Monday, a good beginning to the week, as I enjoyed the workout, with little cramping for once.  When I was finished, I went to the Ryder Cup, in Lakewood, a mom and pop coffee shop/bookstore, and waited for Evie to come and pick me up.  We didn't do any shopping so we relaxed over a cup of coffee and went home where Evie made me BLT's for lunch on homemade bread.  What a treat.

During the afternoon, I took my usual siesta, after watching Saturday Night Live during lunch and reading some of my Too Big Too Fail book.  I am enjoying it as I mentioned but it's quite long so let's see what I have to say when I am most of the way through it.  About 4:30, I went out for a walk in the neighboring woods, bushwhacking a bit.  It was crisp out, with some sun, so perfect for walking, as the sun was beginning to set.  I did walk on the ice a bit, got a soaker when I tried to get off it near shore, so it is a bit precarious, thus no fishermen out.  I walked up through the Victoria woods, down through Woodlawn, to the campground and back.  It's a good time to walk, works up my appetite.

For dinner, we had lots of pork left over, as well as the cabbage strudel, so we had another great meal off of the rack of pork.  We watched Scorsese's film HUGO and both of us were somewhat disappointed and bored.  Like other movies with amazing effects,   HUGO mostly impressed me with the setting, the context, the wonderful world of Paris, of the train station, of the clockworks above the station.  The story, however, was not compelling, seemed like a vehicle for the visual effects team to show off their talents.  We both found ourselves wondering how long the movie was and were happy when it finally ended.  It wasn't a terrible film; maybe we are not imaginative enough, young enough, or able to suspend our reason sufficiently to enjoy this kind of film.

Because it's supposed to be sunny and cold today, we plan on walking another section of the Overland Trail, off towards Mayville, heading towards Chautauqua Gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...