Sunday, January 8, 2012

Another Mild Winter Sunday (Hiking in Westfield)

Westfield's Cemetery


Westfield Bed and Breakfast


Obviously, I am up early, ran out of things to read or just got bored with the news, especially the politics so I started messing with the templates for my blog, thought this one was pretty cool though it may not be as easy to read.  Let me know what you think if you have the energy on a Sunday to comment.  It's still dark out, and I have been up for over an hour, rising before 6:00 from a uneasy sleep, the kind where you think you are awake but aren't if that makes sense.  Perhaps you have to be my age to experience this kind of sleep; I know I never could understand my Dad when he said he hardly slept and now I am saying the same sort of thing, though we both obviously slept some.

Westfield Bed and Breakfast
The Boys At The Transfer Station Say Hello
Yesterday was colder than it looked, though sunny with blue skies, mostly because of the wind.  After my Saturday morning routine of taking our trash to the Transfer Station, we drove up to Westfield for our walk, wanting to do something different and we knew most of the trails would be muddy.  So we walked around the village, admired the houses, some renovated Bed and Breakfasts on Main Street, explored the cemetery, browsed an antique store and the new books at the Patterson Library, then headed home to the smells of cabbage soup, which had been cooking on the stove for over two hours, making the cabbage soft and silky.  Evie made a couple of toasted cheese sandwiches for our lunch to go with the soup, and I added a dollop of sour cream, making it almost a Russian borscht.  A great way to end a walk.

Asian Glazed Chicken Thighs
We ended up reading and relaxing the rest of the day, though Evie put together a combination of adobo chicken and an Asian chicken thigh recipe, one where the thighs have a crisp skin, with a glaze over them that's sweet, sour, as well as hot.  Served with rice, it was a perfect dinner.  Before dinner, we had the requisite mannie,  and our favorite cheese, a brie with blue cheese in it.  And we listened to Garrison Keillor on the radio, as is our want on Saturday evenings, with our appetizers,  so it was a good way to end the day.  We didn't watch a movie, instead we switched back and forth between the NFL game and the Republican debate.  The football game was far more interesting!  By 10:00, I was ready to go upstairs and continue reading Murikami's 1Q84 on my Kindle, as I am in to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...