Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Cooling Off On A Sunny Morning


6:41
7:30
It was nice to awaken to a cool house, as the hot, humid weather of the past few days seems to have vanished.  It's 60º out at the moment, compared to yesterday's 70º at the same time.  And yesterday's high in the 80's gives way to today's high of 72º.  That's more like the Chautauqua weather we know and love.  The lake's been quiet, too, as most of the boats and tourists are gathering, ready to hit the area this weekend, for 4th of July and the Blue Heron Festival (a mini Woodstock) in Sherman, NY.  

Yesterday was much like Sunday, hot and humid, the heavy humidity a result of the rain Monday morning.  I loved it, the rain and the lake after the storm.  So I went out for a kayak paddle around 7:15, a  good way to start the day.  We then got some things done in the house and Evie made up a list for me since I was going shopping.  Sam's Club had lots of sales which Evie did not want us to miss so off I went, stopping for a coffee at Ryders and I picked up a dozen organic eggs.  I then stopped at Office Max, washed my car at a self car wash and ended up at Sam's, filling my cart with mostly paper products, paper plates, napkins, things like that which makes the summer easier for all of us, fewer dishes to wash.

When I go home, we quickly put things away and since it was 12:30, I quickly put on my bathing suit and did some lake weeding before lunch.  It, the cutting of weeds, is becoming an obsession, as if I want to get rid of every weed in the lake, a Sisyphean task.  They are a real problem in some areas as some cannot even get their boats off of their lifts because of the weeds.  Lunch was one of my favorites, ever since our days in Istanbul, schnitzel sandwiches, with mayo and tomatoes.  It's worth making schnitzel just so I could have those sandwiches the next day for lunch.  I watched some soccer, Italy vs Spain, bits and pieces of other matches before taking a nap.

Evie, after keeping busy most of the morning, took the afternoon off and spent most of it out on the dock, enjoying the sun, the beauty of the afternoon blues, the lake and sky.  I joined her around 3:00 and could not pass up jumping into the lake and cutting more weeds.  There's a definite pleasure in seeing my basket fill up with these darn weeds, the longer the are, the more satisfying.  Crazy, right.

Porch Sitting At 8:15
We came in to enjoy a cocktail around 6:15 and sat on our porch, munching on appetizers, sipping our cocktails for close to two hours because it was such a lovely early evening.  And we had little to do in the kitchen, other than heat up the leftover frozen pizza and make a salad.  So Evie could really relax and enjoy our cocktail hour (or two).  We are able to listen music on the porch by pointing our Sonos speaker out the window, so Evie can browse Apple music.  And since we are going to an Avett Brothers concert in a couple of weeks with my nephew Pat and his wife Courtney, we listened to one of their albums.  We were not familiar with them but liked the album, a cross between blue grass and country, so we are looking forward to the concert.

We had our pizza and salad around 8:15 and watched some more of Dicte, the Danish series which we have been enjoying.  We stuck with a couple of episodes but got tired of it and turned on some Stephen Colbert before going up to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...