Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Another Well Washed Morning Sky

8:30
A half inch of rain overnight, finally, but thunder, lightning, and heavy winds, too. It's a glorious morning, blinding sun, quiet lake, and a refreshingly cool 55º.  I was awake at 5:30 but stayed in bed until 6:15, missing the sunrise but getting a bit more sleep.  For now, we have blue skies but it's supposed to cloud up later in the day, with more rains forecast for much of Wednesday.  We had better get the most out of our Tuesday.

Yesterday turned out to be a great day, especially in the afternoon when I returned home from the Subaru dealer, where I had an exhaust pipe replaced, which was damaged when we blew a tire on our return home from Dallas.  So I was at the dealer at 9:00 and didn't get out of there until 10:30.  Since I was in Jamestown, I stopped at the newly renovated and finally opened Labyrinth Press Coffee shop, one of my favorite stops in Jamestown but it has been closed for almost two years.  It will have its full vegetarian menu available soon as well.  After getting my coffee, I drove to Wegman's to start the process of shopping for the week long visit of our recently graduated grandson Nick and two of his buddies, soon to be off on their first road trip.  What and how much to buy for three active and fairly healthy conscious eighteen year olds.  No sodas, probably few carbs and lots of proteins.  And no junk food, alas.  So we will be eating healthy for a week!  I made the mistake of getting into a 15 or fewer items line when I realized the shopper had an entire cart full of groceries.  Maybe she can't read.  I went in another line and struck up a brief conversation with a woman, in a tank top, tights, huge tatoos on both arms, who had a huge bottle of vinegar, the kind we often drink in the morning for our health.  She takes it every morning, straight, and thinks it helps.  I did not ask what it helps. Anyways, I did not get home until 12:30.

I had an easy lunch of leftover chicken curry, watched some Game of Thrones and finished my book by Richard Russo, EVERYBODY'S FOOL, which I really liked.  After lunch, Evie worked in the yard, ended up finishing cutting the grass (rained out yesterday), and I took a brief nap and did some reading before joining her on the dock, to sun bathe for the first time this year.  It felt good to suck up the rays, not too intense yet, and just be out on the dock.  There was a light breeze, but it was warm enough for Evie to jump in and take a swim.  Around 5:30, we went in and Evie got dinner ready, breading the tilapia, baking it, and I made up some tartar sauce and shucked the Florida corn.  We had the tilapia with coleslaw and red skinned potatoes, and it tasted really good, making us wonder why we don't have it more often.  And we watched the last episode of the two year series 39º in February and both of us were in tears at the end.  It's quirky, different, perhaps not everyone's taste but both of us really liked it, the characters, both Swedish and Thai.  Where do writers come up with these stories and how do they make them so compelling.


We ended the evening with Bill Maher's Real Time, with his rants against Trump, the ignorant electorate and politicians in general.  I went upstairs to read and started the new Alan Furst thriller, A HERO OF FRANCE set in occupied France in 1941.

By the way, we  shocked our well last night, adding bleach to it, letting the bleached water sit in our house pipes overnight, so this morning, I began the task of running the hose on and off during the day, getting rid of the bleached water.  This is something we have been doing once or twice a year for the past couple of years as a precaution for our well.  It's easy as long as we prepare with lots of jugs of drinking water.  We will wait a day or two to drink the water but will be able to use it for washing later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...