Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A Dab Of Rain On A Gray Chautauqua Morning

6:10
Kayak Morning
It did rain some overnight but it was hard to tell, as the walks were hardly wet, nor the roads.  A stingy weather god refuses to parcel out the rain.  It's remaining cool, like yesterday, with a high in the low 70's, with no rain insight despite the overcast skies.  And strangely, the Canadian geese seemed to have returned to the lake as I just noticed a gaggle of at least 20 float by.

Gaggle Of Geese
We had another lazy day here at the lake, with the welcome coolness of the day.  The lake was choppy so I only went out for a brief kayak paddle around mid day, checking on the weed problem along Woodlawn.  The weed cutters were supposed to come by but never made it, surprise, so we hope we are on their to do list for today.  Evie spent her morning inside, making up some of the dressings and marinades she will need over the fourth.  I spent a good hour working on our brick walk, always a fertile area for weeds and grass.  So with my trusty tools, I rid the walk of weeds, a task I perform three or four times a year.  I am getting good at it but my back does not think so.

Lunch was another  schnitzel sandwich with Evie's vegetable soup and I started to watch the soccer game where Iceland upset England, a major blow to English soccer fans.  Evie was on the dock by 1:00 but soon returned as it was 'too cool' because of the temperatures in the 60's and the wind.  Who would have thunk it two days ago when we were sweating and temps were almost 90º.  I am reading a Jack Mc Coll novel, JACK OF SPIES, the first in a series by David Downing.  I loved his Jack Russell series set in Berlin during WW II.  This set, however, has yet to grab me though I am sticking with the first book.

Around 5:00, we took off for another mega shopping trip, hitting Wegman's, both of us with carts, to get done quicker.  Evie would pull out her iPhone, with its Wegman's app, and send me on my way to pick up three or four items before returning to get more instructions.  It was 5% Tuesday and not very crowded because it was late in the day and all the golden agers were home making dinner.  We decided to try the fairly new Indian restaurant, A Taste Of India, a sister restaurant to one we used to eat at in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, back in the 1990's.  We ordered three dishes, brought them home and after quickly unpacking, we sat down to eat.  Evie had made a salad and heated up some naan, which complimented our meal.  One of the dishes was decent, the other two mediocre, so we will probably not being going back.  Too bad because it would be nice to have another good restaurant in the area.  I give them a few more months before they close.  We watched two more episodes of DICTE, and in this one, she finds her son who she was forced to abandon when she was a pregnant 16 year old, forced to do so, against her will, by her Jehovah's Witness parents.  I have noticed a definite anti religious bias in many of these European series.  We were both tired from shopping, so we went to bed earlier than usual.

I just got back from an early morning before breakfast, after coffee, paddle across the lake and back. I will say it again; it's a great way to start the morning, even on an overcast day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...