Sunday, June 26, 2016

A Quiet, Calm Sunday Morning


6:00
6:08
I was up and out on the dock to catch the sunrise at 5:50.  Our neighbors, their kids and grandchildren were also huddled on their lawn, waiting as well.  Just about 6:00 it started to rise above the horizon but because of some clouds, it tended to be blurry.  When I walked back off the dock, our neighbors had disappeared.  Evie was coming down the stairs as I walked in, so she made me a latte to start my day.  Take that Walt! See you in a couple of days.

Yesterday's high was predicted to be close to 90º but around here, it hardly rose above 80º, so it was a perfect day to be out on the lake.  In the morning, I remember thinking how quiet the lake was for a weekend but by 2:00, the boats were out, filling the lake with their sounds and shapes.  We had our typical Saturday, getting some things done early, like watering the gosh darn lawn, getting the trash together and heading off to the Transfer Station.  What happened to those garbage men of my preschool years.  My parents would tell me that when they came by, I would rush out to watch and vow I wanted to be a garbage man.  Disdaining money, I became a teacher instead.

We did some easy stuff in the house and began to get out the bedroom air conditioners for the summer.  Back in the days (the 80's), we would never have needed an air conditioner as Chautauqua weather tended towards the cool, even in August. But over the last 10 or 15 years, we would have heat waves where we needed air conditioners for the stuffy upstairs bedrooms.  We use them only when the temperatures get into the high 80s, so its not that often but its nice to know they are there.

Around noon, I finally filled a couple of garbage cans with lake weeds, and got rid of them up the hill. And I went back out in the water for about forty five minutes, and raked some more.  I feel a bit like Sisyphus, pushing his rock up the hill, knowing that once it got to the top it would fall, but keeping at it nevertheless.  I had the leftover eggplant pasta for lunch and watched some soccer but was soon bored.  And the rest of the afternoon was like that, as we were both lazy and a bit bored with ourselves.  What to do?  Well, we alternated between the dock and the porch, enjoying the day, as I read and Evie went through old pictures, photos taken of our kids and grandkids before digital cameras when we had to get them processed by Kodak (a company that used to have the monopoly on the photo market).  Neither of us wanted to move from our dock and porch, so we left the boat to sit and decided to have dinner at home And before a swim, to renew ourselves and get dinner ready, I took a kayak paddle, up and down Woodlawn, buffeted by the wind and waves, as I struggled when heading north in to the wind, but floated on the way back. .

A Perfect Afternoon For Tabasco
For dinner, Evie got out four frozen juicy lucy burgers, leftover from when Nick, our grandson and his buddies were here.  We read up on how to cook leftover burgers.  Evie, then, paid no attention to their suggestions, grilled some onions, placed the burgers on top in a frying pan for about ten minutes and we had pretty darn good burgers.  The grilled onions, especially, made them tasty.  A salad and Bush's beans completed a good old American dinner.  We then binged on a Danish series that we realized we had watched earlier in the year called Dicte.  It was good enough to watch again, and we are now caught up, ready to start the next season or two.

It looks like another warm one today although at the moment, we have all the windows open and there is a nice breeze filling the downstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...