Friday, June 3, 2016

Back In The Saddle Again


6:15
Well, it's 7:00 and I have been up for over an hour, to a lovely morning, the sun hidden at the moment by fog.  I feel like we never spent three weeks on the road as I sit here on my couch, sipping coffee, enjoying our view of the lake, listening to NPR.  And I don't feel like I have a daughter who just celebrated her fiftieth  birthday yesterday and was surprised by a visit from her sister, Jill.  Cool beans.

Fishing Off Our Dock
We quickly jumped back into routine yesterday as my day began with breakfast with four of the guys at the Bemus Point Inn.  It was good to see them again, to find our what I missed while I was away (not much).  A couple have been away fly fishing in PA which they tend to do this time of the year.  It sounds like fun.  When I got home, Evie had been busy, doing the wash from our trip, getting the house back in order.  I wanted a book from the Bemus Point Library, Richard Russo's EVERYBODY'S FOOL.  I started reading it on my Kindle but it was soon to expire and I wanted to finish the book.  So Evie quickly put together a grocery list and I was off to Bemus, then to Ryder's Cup for a coffee, an aloha to the regulars and two dozen free range chicken eggs.  It was then time to hit Wegman's, for the essentials, a hundred bucks worth but only one dinner, typical.  And I was home by 12:30, for a lunch of a bagel and cream cheese, all I wanted after a breakfast of hash and two poached eggs.

For some reason, I took only a ten minute nap and I didn't feel like reading so I got to work outside. Both of us did.  First, it was time to clean the gutters, carefully, so I don't fall off the ladder.  Then, I started getting things ready for launching my boat this morning at 10:00.  I had to get all the gear out of the attic, charge the battery, make sure I had everything I needed.  And I put the hitch on my Pilot, always a hassle because it gets rusty and I have to get out a file and work at it until the hitch fits.  I have used grease in the past, so I should pick some more up from my auto mechanic.  Meanwhile, Evie fired up the lawn mower and cut the lawn, despite the fact it had been cut a couple of days ago. I have to say it looks much better after mowing.  Finally, I dragged our kayaks from our parking area to the lake, washed them and got them ready for the summer.

Late Afternoon Sun
By the time I was done, I had worked up quite a sweat because of the 75% humidity and warm temperatures.  Evie, as well, had worked up a sweat so we both put on our bathing suits and jumped in the lake for the first time this year.  It was a bit cold to begin but began glorious, almost too warm for this time of the year.  After our swim, we got dressed and came back out to enjoy a beer on our dock, as the wind picked up and the air began to cool off.

Dusk
Around 6:15, we had another one of our favorite, go to dinners, broiled salmon with an orange marmalade sauce, garlic spinach, salad, rice and a glass of white wine.  After two days of travel and McDonald's, it felt like we were eating health food.  We watched two saved episodes of The Americans but still have one to go to catch up.  We then watched the first half of the Cavs game before I went upstairs to reading, having had enough of the game.  It lacked the great play and tension and intensity of the last to Golden State/OKC games.  The Cavs were kind of blah as was Golden State.  I assume that will change on Sunday.

It looks like two great days on the lake, the rains arriving on Sunday, we hope because we need it. Not as much as Texas is getting but a nice, steady, day of rain.  And it's now 8:00 and a heavy and cool fog has just arrived, obscuring Long Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...