Thursday, May 7, 2015

Fog Bound On Chautauqua Lake


Dawn On A Foggy Morning at 6:10
Dusk at 8:47
Martins And Sparrows Nesting
It's 6:45 and I have been up for forty five minutes, looking out the windows at a blanket of fog covering the lake.  I can just make out the end of our dock, then the fog envelops the vista.  It's 64º out at the moment, a whiff of wind.  No spectacular sunrise this morning, alas, and I have breakfast at the Bemus Point Inn in a little over an hour with the guys.

Baltimore Oriole Feeder
A Striking Guy
Hanging Out
Yesterday started out well, an easy early morning, listening to the birds, sipping our coffee, finishing up the blog.  At 9:45 I left for yoga and Evie was busy, making an asparagus soup, working with the family photographs which we hope to hang.  And Evie hung the Baltimore oriole feeder, so she spent much of the day taking pictures of the oriole, a bright orange, contrasting with the bright yellow of the finches, the red of the rose breasted grosbeak.   Yoga was its usual self, a couple of new students, a good class.  Afterwards, I stopped at the bank, deposited a check from Delta Dental, a rare occurrence these days, then stopped at the hardware store to pick up a few whole house filters.   I think I mentioned we just put in a whole house filter, to remove the sediment from our water.  It seems that there's quite a bit because we have been changing the filter weekly, not monthly especially since the pump has been turned off several times recently which stirs up the sediment.  We hope our well settles down.  Finally, I went to Mike's Nursery in Lakewood, to see if they had any privets yet but the staff seemed totally out to lunch and did not seem to know what a privet was.  I walked around to see if they had any but it's too early or the won't have any.

Close Up
Profile with Seed
Enjoying A Sunflower Seed
After a lunch of asparagus soup and leftover city chicken, Evie decided to get things done in Lakewood:  returning stuff, shopping, errands.   I was left home alone, to read, watch some basketball and take a nap.  I was soon bored with my book, could not take a nap, so I went out to my garage, a mess from the past six months, and started my once a fortnight routine, cleaning and organizing my garage.  I also have begun to 'tidy it up,' meaning throwing out things that I have not used in years.  I found various half empty paint cans, so I will have to get some kitty litter today, fill the cans with it, so that the Transfer Stations will take them.  As I was finishing up, Evie drove in with good and bad news.  The good news, she managed to get the Honda Pilot home safely, the bad, the brakes had failed.  When I checked it out, I had to push the pedal completely to the floor to make the car stop.  So I called Keystone and Ray told me not to drive the car, so I called AAA and they came and towed it to Keystone where they will check it over this afternoon and fix it.  Not the way to end a sunny afternoon.  I seem to measure my life in car bills.
Late Afternoon Hikers On Long Point
For dinner, Evie sauteed spinach with garlic, cracked eggs on the top, then baked it in the oven for a couple of minutes.  That was our dinner, along with garlic toast and a salad, just right on a surprisingly pleasant evening on the lake.  While we taped the Cavs game and American Idol, we finished the BOSCH series on Amazon.   As I said, we liked it enough to keep watching but were not thrilled with it.  I finally concluded that the main character Harry Bosch was the problem, lacking charm, interest, and predictably in his inability to get along with anyone.  For me, he never rang true, an actor playing a detective.  I was happy to go up to bed and read, as my book has taken a right turn, from life in a Japanese labor camp, to a tumultuous love affair, early in the main protagonist's life, before he leaves for the WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...