Saturday, May 2, 2015

A Loon, A Loon!


6:21
6:22
It's just about 7:00 and I have been up for an hour, at first waiting for the sun to rise, then once it was up, hiding from its brightness so I could write my blog.  The lake is like a pane of glass, with a few markings on it, ducks and sea gulls, and occasionally, a bird call interrupts the quiet, mostly geese, an occasional duck.  The next four or five days look to be great, sun and temperatures in the 60's and low 70's.
Kayaking Among The Burgeoning Reeds
Exploring Sandy Bottom
Yesterday was like something out of a Abbott and Costello comedy.  It began well, with an early morning kayak ride for both Evie and me.  We wanted to get out before the lake began to churn up, so we were on the lake by 8:00, paddling down to Sandy Bottom, enjoying the martins nest building in our neighbors houses, looking for the bald eagle but no luck.  We were out for about forty five minutes, just right as I had yoga at 9:30.  It was, as usual, a good class (when have ever said it was bad).  Anyways, after class, Evie had asked me to pick up some chaise lounge cushions at Walmart which she had seen on Thursday.  So, I drove there but could not find the cushions she described, called her and she realized the cushions she saw were at Home Depot.  So I went to Home Depot, picked up what I thought were the cushions she described, brought them home, and found out they were not the right ones (no surprise).  When I got home, Evie was excited.  She was upstairs making the bed when she heard the cry of a loon; she ran downstairs, picked up up the camera, ran outside and was able to take a few photographs of the loon as it swam towards Victoria.  Around 1:00  I made my 'own lunch,' while Evie drove off to Home Depot to get the 'right' cushions and picked up an extra pair from Sam's just in case she did not like the cushions from Home Depot.  By the way, I am happy without cushions!  Fortunately, the cushions seem right so we don't have to go back until today or tomorrow, to return the cushions from Sam's.

First Loon
Loon Sighting 
Evie tried to enjoy the afternoon sun on her new cushioned chaise lounge but it was too windy.  I started taking furniture out of the garage, getting the yard and dock ready for the warm weather.  One of our Adirondack chairs, at least twenty five years old, will have to be discarded because of rot.  We will look for a couple of new ones made out of plastic like wood,which supposedly will last forever.
We did sit on the dock around 5:30 with beer and pretzels but only lasted about 15 minutes because of the wind.  Still, it was great to finally be back out on our dock, the lake a brilliant blue.

For dinner, I had the leftover pot roast and mashed potatoes and Evie had rotisserie chicken from Sam's, along with a salad and asparagus.  The pot roast was just as good as on Tuesday, maybe even better.  We finally watched WILD, a movie I have been wanting to see ever since I read the book in February.  It's gotten good reviews but I was not taken with it, perhaps because I read the book first.  It's not the kind of book that translates easily to film because there's little plot and the novel' success is the first person point of view, as Cheryl Strayer tells her story of 'finding out the person she should be' while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.  I was also hoping for some great scenery, amazing vistas of the hike but none stood out.  It's worth seeing if you don't have anything else on your queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...