Saturday, December 14, 2013

Lake's Snow Covered, Finally, And Winter Storm Warnings For The Weekend

7:40
Perhaps The Last of The Buffleheads (?) as Lake Freezes Over
Well, 5:30 seems to be my new wake up time, not sure why.  I like getting up early but not this early and at this time of the year, the sky does not start to lighten until after 7:00, so I sit here in the dark, fireplace ablaze, surfing the Internet, waiting for Evie to get up, the sun to rise, my Saturday to begin.

Yesterday was not very exciting for a Friday.  I had to take my car in to fix a leaking fuel line. So I dropped it off at 9:00 and walked twenty five minutes into Jamestown, something I would never have thought of doing five years ago.  Now the idea of a twenty five minute walk, even in snow and slush, seems appealing, the wonders of having time, of being retired.  You can enjoy the going.  I walked to the Labyrinth Press Coffee shop, on 4th across from the YMCA, where I like to get their breakfast burrito and coffee.  I eat here three or four times a year, usually when my car is being worked on.  One of the yoga teachers from Eight Limbs, Courtney, works there now as a barista.  She said she had class that morning, at 6:30 but no one showed up, probably because of the bad weather.  Anyways, I sat there for an hour, enjoying my breakfast, coffee, reading some, surfing the net for something interesting to read or buy.  It's like having a store in your back pack.  Just fire up your computer, go to Amazon, find something you want, click buy and two days later, you have your item.  How did we get by the past fifty years without Amazon.
Courtney at the Labyrinth Press Coffee Shop
Christmas Spirit, Jamestown Style
After breakfast, I walked over to Prendergast Library, the only downtown library, always crowded with people, mostly on the computer terminals, browsed some books and DVD's, but found nothing I liked.  So I sat down and read with a couple of the older guys who usually frequent this warm, dry public place.  It's certainly a different crowd from Smith Library in the Chautauqua Institution.  And how the function of libraries have changed over the years.  Now they are a gathering place, for the elderly, the teens, the underclass, especially in a city like Jamestown.  I like it there; it's busy,  being used, has a function beyond books.

I picked my car up around noon, then went to Tops, the grocery store across the street and stocked up on supplies for the weekend, more butter for Evie's cooking making, beer for the both of us, and lots of vegetables, to keep us in stock for the week.  Tops, both in Mayville and Jamestown, never seem busy, at least in comparison to Wegman's.
Over Dosing On Sprinkles
When I got home, Evie had made another batch of Christmas cookies to decorate, insatiable, always ready to make more.  I shouldn't complain, however, as I often benefit from her baking.  And the Swedish Walnut cookies are just about gone.  For lunch, vegetable soup and cheese sandwich, then an afternoon that does not seem to change lately, Evie in the kitchen, baking or decorating Christmas cookies or getting dinner ready, me reading or napping, occasionally rising from my couch, to clean up the kitchen for Evie, so she can make something else.  Unfortunately, we did not get a walk in though we both did some shoveling.

For dinner, we had the chili again, still great and the addition of Frito's has been a revelation for both of us.  Never again will I eat chili without them, without that crunch.  We watched an episode of Parenthood from the previous evening, even Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy which reminded me of my parents, especially my Mom who used to watch it every week night after dinner.  We become our parents!

Well, I am finished with my blog and it's just 7:00 and time for Only A Game.  It's been a long morning, and I can just begin to make out the white snow on the lawn and lake.  No plan for the day other than a trip to the Transfer Station this morning,  perhaps a hike somewhere after that, then either dinner out or we will stay home, depending on the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...