Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sunny But Colder, As Winter Looms


6:50
7:20
Up just before 7:00, a crack of pink skies along Tom's Point, a gaggle of geese off in the middle of the lake, honking occasionally, and I turn up the heat, as it's 56º inside.  A year ago, we were in Kansas City, the day before Thanksgiving, and it was warm enough for my son Tom and his son Nick to go golfing.  The bad news from that day: I had to take my Honda Pilot in for a new radiator, a costly little item but necessary if we wanted to drive home.

Yesterday was another 'get ready for Kansas City' day.  Evie was at sixes and sevens early, finally deciding to go off to Lakewood to finish up some errands. I did not go shopping, of course, but took a walk around Woodlawn/Victoria woods, a dull, brown leaf strewn walk, with lots of branches down from Sunday night's heavy winds. When I walked down to the lake, four swans were feeding off shore, with straight necks, a characteristic of the Tundra Swan. For lunch I had the last of the schnitzel, watched an episode of Ray Donovan (one more to go), and finished the fifth volume of David Downing's series set in Berlin.   And I started the last book late afternoon.  What will I do when I finish it?
Tundra Swans
I meant to start packing, organizing my things, clothes and devices but forgot to start as I was so wrapped up in finishing my book.  Evie came home mid afternoon, relaxed some, and we both enjoyed a glass of wine before an easy dinner, left over pot roast, this time with rice and a great, avocado laden salad.  We watched a C- movie called Friends With Kids.  I won't bore you with the summary but it plays with the obvious idea that having kids changes your life.  Hello?  I couldn't wait to get upstairs to read the final book, MASARYK STATION, set in 1948 Berlin and other parts of Europe.

A few minutes ago we both noticed our lake was busy with various wild life, floating in front of our house, Canadian geese, buffleheads, mallards, and what we think were a rare kind of gull, the Bonaparte Gull. It's sighting was mentioned yesterday on Presque Isle State Park Facebook page; it has black wing tips, which is what I observed.  When I went to my bird book, I was amazed at the number of gulls.  Today is my last yoga class at the Studio At Panterra in Westfield.  It's been educational and interesting but I will be glad to get back to the Eight Limbs Studio in Lakewood when we return from our trip to Kansas City.  I miss not going three or four times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...