Friday, November 22, 2013

Effingham, Illinois, Ho!

Heading to KC to Visit Tom and Family
Moon Lit Lake

Up early because of our trip and neither one of us slept that well, typical the night before a journey of any sort.  We have about a nine hour ride ahead of us, not too bad and we usually get into Effingham around 4:00 because we gain an hour going West.  A year ago today, we were in Kansas City, celebrating Thanksgiving, with a turkey dinner with all the fixings, a fun day with Tom's family and his in laws, Rose and Frank.  Fifty years ago today, I was in a Teaching of English Class in Athens, Ohio, when our teacher announced that JFK had been assassinated and continued teaching, as an example of how a teacher might handle a situation like this.

Yesterday was a wet, gray and dreary day, perfect for packing and getting ready to head to Kansas City.  I got out my trusty IKEA blue plastic bag and within minutes, I had all my clothes packed, the bag down stairs ready to be put in the car.  I love these bags, perhaps not cool or appropriate for a plane trip but great for a car trip when visiting the kids.  Evie has one as well so we have matching travel bags albeit not leather.

I did have a few errands to run, stop at the post office, bank, library, so I was gone for about an hour or so.  Not much else to do the rest of the day, continue with my reading, too lazy to take a walk, plus it was rainy outside, a good excuse to make some Turkish tea and just stay inside and enjoy my leisure. Evie had more to do, obviously, getting the kitchen and cookie utensils ready for the trip, the food for our drive, presents to wrap for the kids but that's all done. We were packed and ready to go by dinner time.

So, around 5:00, we were able to sit down and relax with a glass of wine, listen to NPR, with the car already packed for our trip.  For dinner, we had simple pleasures, Sahlen hot dogs with Stadium Mustard, beans and a salad.  What could be better.  I felt like I was at an Indians or Brown game at the old Municipal Stadium.

Time to hit the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...