Saturday, November 9, 2013

Another Cloudy Saturday


7:00
Up at 6:30, lit the fireplace, and settled in to listen to Click N Clack, Only A Game, and surf the web for something of interest, worth reading in two or three minute swatches.  Can't concentrate any longer than that any more!   Briefly, the sky off to the southeast turned pink, then just as quickly the color dissolved into the ubiquitous gray of winter.  It's 32º outside, some rain forecast, high in the 40's, the kind of weather we have been having for the past week, next week as well.

Yesterday was a day of contrasts, as the sun might peak through the clouds briefly, then just as quickly cloud up and drizzle, even sleet for a few minutes, then stop.  Not exactly conducive to wanting to be outside, to hike or walk, so we stayed in much of the day.  Evie was suffering from a stomach virus so it was just as well.  I did venture out to Lakewood, late morning, to pick up some salmon and other staples at Sam's Club.  And, taking my life in to my own hands, I drove into the Home Depot parking lot.  Within 30 seconds, an elderly women pulled out in front of me, never looking to see if a car was coming.  As I drove on in to the parking lot, shaking my head, another car driven by an elderly gentlemen cut across the parking lanes, in front of me, bringing me to a stop.  I had earlier in the morning commented on the fact that downtown Jamestown seems to have a couple of accidents every week.  I assume the Lakewood business area does as well.  We often take the back road to Lakewood, or the lake road, just to avoid #394 and the busy section from the Mall to Wegman's, to Sam's.

The afternoon was filled with reading, some Turkish tea, and putting my entire record library on shuffle, so that I never knew what tune might pop up, fun and surprising at what played, from the Chronos Quartet, to Radio Head, to Johnny Cash.  Around 4:30, I got antsy and decided to walk the Woodlawn/Victoria woods, still muddy from the rains, but passable, with trails covered with matted leaves, no  crunch as I walked this time.  Occasionally the sun would peak out, lighting the opposite shore line, then disappear, leaving the coast in shadows.
Long Point at 3:00
Evie was feeling well enough to make dinner; she smeared the salmon with mayo, put it in foil, and I cooked it out on the grill for about 15 minutes, just right.  We also had jasmine rice and garlic spinach, a combination we both enjoy.  We have enough salmon left for a great salad for dinner or a couple of lunches, as well as some rice and spinach.  We watched two episodes of Parenthood, still compelling, though the fidelity of the married couples is being tested.  The matriarch of the family is taking off to Italy, on her own, leaving the patriarch home alone, and one of her daughter's seems to be finding solace in a stay at home Dad.  Trouble is brewing in Berkeley.

And the birds seem to be back though nervous, briefly feeding before flying off, most black capped chickadees, tufted titmouse's, and nuthatches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...