Saturday, April 28, 2012

Twenty Eight Degrees and Clouding Up

5:50

6:20
Up at 5:50 to a marvelous sky, reminding me of Arizona, but now, at 8:00, as Click and Clack say good by and Only A Game begins, it's starting to cloud up.  It was so chilly in the house this morning (Evie's always turning the heat down, and I turn it up, just like my Mom and Dad used to do), that I turned on the fireplace and now the living room is nice and toasty.  The weatherman actually predicted snow for last night, a frost warning for tonight.

We went to work out yesterday and I made the mistake, before yoga, of putting together some Turkish lentil soup with a base of onions and  garlic.  Both Evie and I realized, as we were driving to Lakewood that I smelled of both garlic and onions.  I quickly put some hand cream on my hands, to no avail.  So, as I did my various poses, I smelled like a sous chef.  After our session, I apologized to my class and a number admitted that they wondered where the smell of garlic was coming from.  O, well, live and learn and don't make soup in the morning.  It was good to get back to my regular class because I know almost all of them.  They all greeted my return happily.  One mentioned having seen Evie and I at Bemus the night before and said she was there with her sister, who owns the Ryder Cup coffee shop in Lakewood, and they are thinking about putting another coffee shop in the old Picket Fence store in Bemus, a  good idea at least for the summer.

I enjoyed my lentil soup for lunch, though it was quite thick, as it was made with rice and bulgur as well as lentils, with a strong mint flavor, quite different from our usual lentil soup with a lemon and cumin.  After lunch, I raked more of the twigs in the yard, filling up another can, fixed Evie's Soil Screen, and she cut the lawn for the second time this fall.  It's quite tall in the areas where we have new grass, not so much in the front where we have not seeded recently.

For dinner, we had homemade pizzas, quite an effort for Evie actually, making you understand why most people just call Domino's.  The dough was a bit disappointing; we keep trying to find the perfect flat crust but have yet to find it.  The pizza's, however, were yummy, with lots of mushrooms, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and onions, our favorite.  We watched once again the cult classic film, Memento, which starts at the end and moves backward in time, one of the first films to adopt such a structure.  Even though we had seen it before, we still ended up confused.

Not sure what today will bring, perhaps more yoga, maybe a walk in Westfield, for a sure a trip to the Transfer Station.

1 comment:

  1. Mark Bittman was recently going on about pizza at home in nyt.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/dining/for-the-home-cook-making-a-better-pizza-how-to-cook-everything.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...