Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Green Is In!

Bradford Pear and Redbud, the early trees of Spring at CI
The lake and surrounding areas are beginning to turn, first a marvelous lime green, the first leaf, then a darker green with blossoms of various colors, as the trees embrace the sun and warm area.  It's been a long time coming but I think spring is here.  I don't know how long it will last but we will enjoy it while it lasts.  It's unusually warm this morning, 59 degrees at 7:00 and the wind, like yesterday seems to be coming from the south.  And there seem to be martins are our house.

Evie went to the Ladies of the Night last night; they invited a neighbor who makes purses to support and Palestinian/Israeli Peace School.  All the proceeds go to the school, so she ended up buying one for forty bucks, and they are all volunteering to help sew some of the purses on an evening in June.  They seem to have a theme or idea for each of their gathering though it's mostly socializing and just enjoying each others company.  For me, it was strange to be home alone.  When you retire, neither of you has much of a reason to go out alone, so I had two boring hours to myself.  It didn't seem right to be sitting watching TV alone possibly because I could watch what ever I wanted and I was in command of the 'commander,' something unusual for me.

We are off today to buy a toaster oven, a real deal at Bon Ton, pick up two of our favorite plants, a Daphne Carol Mackie.  We have had a couple, one before the fire, one after which we put to the left of our stoop but it was killed two years ago by the cold winter.  We are putting these on the south side of the house, so hopefully they will be protected by the house.  We also are picking up some ivy geraniums if we can find them.  For some reason, they are in short supply or they just don't order them. I also am after a lavender mist rue, a plant I read about in the latest addition of Fine Gardening.  I can order it but there's a 15 dollar charge for shipping.

Tonight, we go for wings with Ron and Linda at the Viking Club, our usual routine on Wednesday's, though we usually go the the VFW because it's closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...