Monday, July 25, 2016

We Got Rain (some)


Our Hayden

Our Marisa

Our Halle

7:05
I woke at 5:40, to a sticky house, looked outside and by gosh, the walks were wet, even the windows. I thought at first it was just humidity but no, it actually rained some during early morning.  It's still warm this morning, 71ยบ, so the rain has not cooled things off.   At least I  can sit out on the porch and not worry about the sun rising, blinding me as I sit, so I have to get back inside the house.

Hayden and Her Dad
Sunday was a carbon copy of Saturday, hot and humid, with little breeze to keep us cool, with warnings of thunderstorms that never came until early this morning.  The group did rise earlier than usual for a Sunday, mostly because Hayden wanted to get a run in before it got too hot.  This meant that Drew, Hayden and I drove over to Bemus Point around 10:15.  It was crowded with cars and people as the floating dock had a Praise The Lake service.  We parked our cars and took off, Drew and I, riding our bikes, Hayden following along.  Fortunately, despite the heat, it was shady much of the run along Lakeside Drive.  Hayden was about to quit after a mile and a half out but hung in there and ran through the park as well, before we headed back to Bemus, to Wired, the coffee shop, a iced coffee waiting for Hayden as a prize for hanging tough.  She ended up running close to six miles after wanting to run only four.  What a good girl.  We relaxed on the coffee shop porch before I headed home and Drew and Hayden did some shopping, picking up a couple of cool Chautauqua Lake t-shirts at Skillman and Wright.

When I got home, guess what, Evie and the girls were in the lake playing on the floats, keeping cool and Jill and Beth were hunkered down in the semi-air conditioned house, trying to get up enough courage to hit the dock.  We needed more drinks (beer), so I drove off to Save A Lot, picked up ice and beer and 'saved a lot.'  When I got home, I started to fill up the cooler only to discover Drew had also bought ice and beer so it looks like we are set for the week and through the weekend when my son Tom and family arrive.

Rockin' the Dock
Baba With  Granddaughters
When the cooler was packed with pops and beer and water, it was time for lunch so Beth was making beef and cheese quesadillas, with the leftover chuck roast from last night.  And I have to admit, despite my unhappiness with the previous night's meat, the quesadillas were great, the meat tender, as Beth must have the magic touch.  Everyone enjoyed them, some like me with the first beer of the day. We then spent time alternating on the dock, first Evie and the girls, then me, then everyone was inside cooling off.  Then, Jill and Drew went out, I soon joined them and when I went in everyone else came out to enjoy the late afternoon, most drinking a beer, so I went back out and had a beer and swam.

Halle and Granny

Drew and Jill
Baba And Beth
By that time, it was close to 5:00, so we decided to take another pop/beer cruise down to Prendergast Point and back, taking our time, enjoying the late afternoon, the cooling breeze from the boat.

Prepping Dinner
We were back around 6:15 and Evie had already prepped most of dinner, chicken parmesan along with spaghetti and Italian sausage.  Yum.  The girls helped me shuck the corn, keeping most of the shuck on the cob so I could grill it outside.   Jill put together a salad, Evie baked the garlic bread and everyone helped get dinner on the table.  We were hungry, having snacked some during the day but had no big meal.  Dinner hit the spot, especially the chicken parmesan as the girls loved it, even had seconds.

Dinner Ala Dining Room
After dinner, the Evie and the girls wanted to play some bean bag, so Drew and I sat outside and watched a couple of roaring games, the girls getting better and better as they played.  After their games, all four of them went for a swim, as the rest of us boring adults sat inside and had Wegman's Chocolate Stampede ice cream, Drew's new favorite ice cream.  I had another helping of peach/blueberry crisp, with ice cream to finish the night.  The girls came in, happy with their swim, and all then went up to their bedroom to watch shows on their devices and then sleep.  Everyone else was up by 10:00, except for Evie and me. We watched a half hour of TV, relaxing and winding down from the busy day.

I am not sure what today will bring, perhaps some yoga or a trip to the Gorge, depending on the weather.  The one thing we are sure of is dinner at the Vikings.  We don't want to miss out on the Rubens and Cubans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...