Tuesday, July 12, 2016

"Deep Summer Is When Laziness Finds Respectability"


7:22

A Morning Visitor
Jamestown Barb
The 'deep summer' quotation (posted on Facebook by our neighbor, Buffalo Joe), characterizes precisely my feelings toward this part of our summer here at the lake.  We luxuriate in our laziness and find no guilt in it.  It's just the way this time of the summer is meant to be. Nat King Cole also got it right with the lyrics to one of his great songs: 'Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer/ Those days of soda and pretzels and beer." We get busy next week when our kids arrive but for now, pure laziness claims the day (at least for me).

As for this morning, there's a cloud cover off to the east, so that the sun has just risen above it, at 7:30.  I have been up since 6:20, and just finished a long article on why people seem to dislike Hillary: the thesis...she's a listener, not a talker and politics, crafted by males, values talkers, not the feminine quality of listening.  Simplistic but interesting.  It looks like another warm day, highs near 90's but right now, it's only 67ยบ with a nice breeze, so I am comfortably lazy on my porch.

Yesterday, like many days recently when we have no guests, blends in to the rest.  Because of the lack of rain, our days are filled with sun and warm weather.  We were both up and getting things done early, as both Evie and I washed windows before I drove into Mayville, stopped at the drug store, hardware store, Chautauqua Ironworks,  and Lighthouse Grocery, to pick up a chicken salad sub before heading home.  John, a friend from the Viking Club,  at Chautauqua Ironworks gave me a dock piece which he thought might make my end dock piece safer.  I waded into the water, forced it under the stringer and I think it might just work. Voila.  I then did some lake weeding before settling down with my chicken salad sub and watching another episode of Ray Donovan.  What a dude, a fixer.  And while I was out doing errands Evie was busy doing one of her favorite things -- mowing the lawn.

Happy Boaters
Almost 51 Years
The rest of early afternoon was dock time until our good friend from Hudson, Barb, arrived to spend the night.  She grew up in Jamestown and loves coming home, connecting with friends and relatives. We have been great friends since the 80's so it was fun to have her visit.  We lounged in the sun until it got too hot so we jumped in the lake to cool off.  By the time we were through sunning and swimming, it was 6:00.  We were taking the boat to the Viking Club for dinner, so we hustled, got dressed and were sitting in the Viking bar by 7:00.  It was Rueben and Cuban sandwich night, so Evie and I split a Cuban and Barb ordered a Rachel, a Rueben with cole slaw.  Both were great, too much for just one person which is why Evie and I split it.  For Barb, it was a trip down memory lane, as a couple of Vikings recognized her from their Jamestown High School days and they ended up talking about the good old days and common friends.

8:11
We took a long cruise home, looking at homes, as the sun slowly set off in the West.  Dusk is the perfect time for a boat ride and I wonder why we don't do it more often.  We stayed up till 10:30 talking before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...