Sunday, July 24, 2016

Summer Fun


Now THIS Is A Relaxing Vacation
5:50
6:15
I was up at 5:45, went out on the porch for my coffee and turned off the fan it was so chilly.  Hard to believe I was chilly after yesterday's heat and humidity, a drippingly hot day at the lake.  Today should be about the same, with a chance of rain tonight and tomorrow.

A Happy Halle
Dad's Rule
Saturday we were in full family force, girls up and at em' surprisingly early (for them), the rest of us up sipping coffee, planning the day by 8:30.  Evie and I were out blowing up floats, after having patched a couple, hoping they would hold their air.   I swam them out to our ring of floats, now numbering four, with three auxiliary seated floats for those who don't necessarily want to swim or get entirely wet.  Anyways, it's a small flotilla of sorts, ready for the girls and any courageous adults.

I took my weekly trip to the Transfer Station, lots of trash, and started my daily routine of stopping at Hogan's Hut to pick up a large, 20 pound bag of ice.  When I got home, Evie had filled our standing, outdoor cooler with pop, beer, wine and water, and I filled it with ice, and we had ice cold drinks for the day and kept the refrigerator for food mostly, no drinks, making it easier to navigate the kitchen for everyone, keeping the drinks outside.

Granny And Her Girls (we miss Marlena!)
A Pensive Hayden
Summer Fun
All of us then spent the rest of the morning and afternoon on the lake, roasting on the dock, cooling off in the water or on the floats. Drew and I took the girls tubing on a particularly choppy lake, from wind and other boats and it was almost too much for them.  And we had a few minutes of panic as the motor wouldn't start and we thought we would have to be towed in.  After about ten minutes of trying, I finally got it going.  It must have been flooded at least I hope so.

Hey, Baba
A Couple Of Airheads
Hanging Out
We all took a brief hiatus for a lunch of leftovers, pork, chicken, noodles and two soups, lentil and corn chowder.  We just about finished them off so we are going to have to be creative for lunches in the next couple of days.  The rest of the afternoon was sun bathing and swimming time until we had enough and went in to the cool house, as we have put an air conditioner in the living room, keeping the temperature at a decent 74ยบ.  The girls and Evie played on the floats on and off the rest of the afternoon, Jill and Drew and I took naps, and around 4:30, I got out my wheel barrel and filled it a couple of times with dried lake weeds.

Loving Couple
At 5:00 the girls wanted to go for a booze and pop cruise, so we all piled in, made sure we had the requisite number of life jackets and cruised for an hour, over to Bemus, along Lakeside Drive and back home.  Everyone was hungry, so we got dinner going.  Evie had marinated three chuck roast for 24 hours, so I grilled them outside while the gang inside got the rest of dinner ready while sipping their wine.  I was determined to get the meat done just right, medium rare, took out  two thermometers to check the meat.  Both said it was not even rare but I brought them both in anyways and it was over done for the most part and tough.  This may be the last time for a chuck roast.  The rest of dinner was great, however, the roasted cauliflower, salad, and baked potatoes.  Beth had put together a peach and blueberry crisp for dessert, so we ended our day with a great crisp, topped with vanilla ice cream, a sure sign it's in the middle of summer.

Scrubbing Potatoes For Granny
Dinner Inside, Alas
I forgot to mention that much of the afternoon and evening was spent trying to save the life of a purple martin baby.  The girls found it paddling madly in the water.  I scooped it up and put it on the dock and they watched it attempt to fly back to their nest.  It fell in the water again so I rescued it and put in on the lawn.  The girls tried to feed it worms and grass but it did not seem to want it.  They left it inside a shelter overnight and when I looked this morning, it was gone, we hope back to its nest but I doubt it.

A Lost Purple Martin Baby
This morning, Hayden's going for a run early over at Long Point and some of us will follow her on our bikes, the start to another sunny and warm day at the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...