Sunday, July 17, 2016

After The Roar, A Quiet Lake


6:02
6:15
Wading In The Shallows On A Kayak Morning
It's 8:20, the sun's blinding, as I look out at its reflection filling the lake.  It's been a busy morning for me, up at 5:20, out on the dock to catch the bass boats roar out of the Long Point Marina at 6:00, then catch the sunrise.  The morning was so fresh and clear that I went kayaking for an hour, off to Long Point, along its shore and back.  And I found the best coffee shop in the country...sitting in the middle of the lake, kicking back, just me a seemingly empty lake, the vast sky and my coffee.  The good life. When I got back, Evie was up and busy in the kitchen, getting things ready for the first flight of family to arrive, Beth and Marisa,  Monday afternoon.  We cannot wait.

My Private Coffee Shop
Yesterday was not the best of days because Evie woke up with a headache.  It did not deter her from working in the kitchen and later enjoying the dock, albeit wrapped in a towel because it was so cool, a result of the strong wind.  Fortunately, it was a nice morning, so I took a paddle down to Bootey Bay and back, a good way to start my day.  And I did the usual, taking the trash to the Transfer Station, after we cleaned out the refrigerator, the garage, getting rid of the junk from the past couple of weeks. About 10:30, I was on the road again, to do some shopping, get things done.  I had coffee at Ryders, picked up a couple of dozen of their organic eggs, stopped at the bank, Walmart (to get a couple of shot glasses, a boat scrub, and a few other things for Evie).  It's always a trip to visit Walmart.  I then made my last stop at Sam's, to pick up some of the staples for the next three weeks and a rotisserie chicken for dinner.  All this took longer than I thought so I was not home till 1:30.

Early Morning Fog At Tom's Point
A Shining In The Morning
By then, Evie had finished her cooking, cleaned up the kitchen and was out on the dock.  I had some vegetable soup and naan for lunch, then read, finishing, finally, my David Downing spy novel, then went out on the dock with Evie.  We did not last long because of the wind, so we came in and relaxed on a leisurely Saturday afternoon until 5:30.  We were having another Woodlawn picnic, so I went for a half hour, as Evie was still bothered by a headache.  It's always fun to catch up with the neighbors and share a libation or two and appetizers.  It was not as well attended as usual, as many families have guests.

We had fresh corn, fried potatoes and chicken for dinner, easy and tasty and tried to find something worth watching on Saturday night TV to no avail.  So we ended up watching some old Stephen Colbert shows and channel surfing before heading up to bed.  By the way, Evie feels better this morning as her headache is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...