Tuesday, October 6, 2015

An Early Morning Fog


7:08
7:28
Up at 6:00 to utter darkness, as I felt my way around the kitchen until I found a light.  I went outside, a mild 52º, no breeze and picked up the paper.  There was not much to see because of the fog until 7:45 when I could just make out Long Point beyond our dock.  At the moment, it's clearing some, especially toward Victoria but the fog still sits on much of the lake.

Yesterday was a spectacular day, a day when we would have thought we would have gone hiking or kayaking  but we did neither.  Not sure why.  I guess I wanted to do something, did not know what so instead, I spent the day getting things done around our yard, not my usual kind of day.  I started out stopping at the Lakewood Library, then Ryder's Cup for a coffee and shopping at Home Depot, picking up grass seed, Wegman's for groceries.  On the way home, I stopped at the Tri James Gravel pit and picked up six buckets of top soil.  When I got home, I raked an area of our lawn that for some reason has turned brown, pulling out all the dead grass.  Evie then spread the seeds, and I covered the area with the topsoil, hoping it might rain some in the next couple of days.  I then went back to Tri James Gravel three times, picking up #2 stones, then spreading them on our drive way.  I took a time out for a lunch of Senate Navy Bean soup, a cheese sandwich, and an avocado and tomato salad, thanks to Evie.  I briefly read, then went back to get gravel, a total as I mentioned, of three times and our driveway is now ready for winter, for the plow to move it around so that I will have to get more next year.  I didn't finish working outside until 5:00 because I washed the car and watered the newly planted grass seed.

While I was working, Evie had washed the windows early, then spent most of the day out on the dock.  It was a sunny, windless day until about 3:30, perfect for enjoying the dock.  I don't blame her for wanting to enjoy every afternoon of sun and warmth.  When I was finished outside, I took a shower, deciding not to follow Evie's lead and go for a swim.  Even she said the water was cold.  We then sat on our front porch for an hour, Evie having wine, me a beer, watching the sun light up various areas of Bemus Bay until it was time to eat.
5:52 PM
Earlier in the afternoon, Evie had put together a meatloaf, so she pulled it out of the oven around 6:00, mashed the potatoes, braised the brussel sprouts, and made a salad and we had a dinner of comfort foods.  Yum.  We watched the final episode of The Affair from last year, the first from this year,  and wonder how this year's will match up with last years.  We then watched an old episode of Homeland, have three more to go before we get to this season.  We are amazed at how much we have forgotten about last year's Homeland.  It was much more violent than we remember but realistic now that we know what it's like in the Middle East with the likes of ISIS.  Scary stuff and no wonder the Syrians are fleeing to Europe.  I am reading a new book, THE NIGHTINGALE, set during the Nazi occupation of France.  So far, I like it but a friend read it recently and said he was in tears at the end. How does anything with the Nazis end well?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...