Thursday, October 1, 2015

A Cold (46º)) October 1st Morning


7:45
8:10
What a surprise to walk outside, to feel the cold, winter like wind on my face.  The next couple of days bring highs in the 50's, yet we sit here thinking about last week, when we could sit out on the dock, enjoying the sun, warm weather and blue skies.  I take the first of many steps signaling the end of summer today: the boat goes out, to be power washed, winterized and stored until next May. The dock will stay in for another couple of weeks, we hope.

Yesterday neither of us did much though Evie found her mojo in the afternoon, not me.  I started the day, with Evie's help, by putting together a sandwich bread recipe, with whole wheat flour, oats, eggs and honey.  It sounded good so I thought I would give it a try.  At the moment, it's slow rising in the refrigerator, for 24 hours and we will bake it later in the day.  Since it was cloudy and wet out, I decided to drive to Lakewood, to Ryder Cup, for a coffee and to do some writing for our Bobcat basketball team.  We are hoping to be honored by the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame and we needed a cover biography of our teams successes.  Guess who was asked to write it.  So, I sat down, worked on it for about an hour, trying to avoid inflating our successes and that was about it.  I sent it off and everyone seemed to like it so I finished my business for the day.

When I returned home, Evie had warmed up a Cuban sandwich for me, so that was lunch, while I watched another episode of Ray Donovan...what a tough guy.  Evie, as I mentioned, found her mojo and started putting together our dinner, a la Evie, adding what she liked to a chicken thigh recipe for dinner.  And she started to make cookies, snickerdoodles, but lacked one ingredient.  So she jumped in our new car and drove off to Tops in Mayville, to get it.  I think it was just an excuse to drive the Subaru.  So the rest of the afternoon was spent baking cookies with me helping with taste testing and the clean up.

Changing Colors At Dusk (7:00PM)
Around 5:30, it was already starting to get dark, the wind picked up and we hunkered down in our living room for an hour, enjoying a couple of glasses of wine and some Camembert cheese with crackers, dinner already made and in the oven staying warm.  We felt, for the first time in months, a stiff whiff of winter in the air, both inside and out, no porch to sit on, and forced inside by the cool late afternoon air.  Dinner was great, chicken thighs with a flavorful tomato based sauce, on rice, and snickerdoodles for dessert.  We watched three of the six late night shows, trying to decide which on we liked best, all similar in some ways though the hosts all have different strengths and weaknesses. We are hoping that The Daily Show continues to draw our attention but we are both still a little uncomfortable with Stephen Colbert's new show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...