Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Waiting For The Sun

7:02
7:03
I was up at 6:30, a very quiet morning on the lake, no boats, a slight wind, the sun hidden behind a bank of clouds.  So, I walked out on the dock, sat down and watched the sun slowly rise above the clouds.  It was unusual to sit on the dock and watch the tips of the clouds turn light, then brighter, until the rim of the sun, then the orb, rose above the cloud bank, blinding me, so that I had to view it's rise through my camera lens.  I then went inside, got my coffee, turned on NPR and started my usual morning routine.  It's a chilly 57º, a great day forecast, a high in the 80's.

Yesterday began with buttermilk pancakes with the Bottiny's, to fortify them for their trip back to Herndon, VA. They, as well as us, had a great weekend, of leisure as well as boat rides, visits to our clubs, and a concert at the Chautauqua Institution.  It's hard to beat that.  When they drove away, we felt, like always, when people leave, empty, not sure what to do with the rest of the day because it's just us, no plans, noone to entertain.  So, we did the logical thing, cleaned up the kitchen, straightened up the house, and then I had the bright idea to call a electrician to fix our smoke alarms, something Jill has been bugging us to do. So I called one, recommended by my breakfast club buddies, and he was here late morning, to check out the house.  He will be back today, with six new alarms and put them in. A nice guy, who does much of the work in the CI,  he also seemed to be a great talker.  It was hard to get a word in.

By the time he left, it was time for lunch, a chicken sandwich, with avocado and tomatoes, then I watched Ray Donovan.  Evie, however, bundled up, and went out to read on the dock, hoping it was not too windy.  She lasted about an hour then came in and sat in the sun in our side yard, avoiding the wind.  After finishing my show, I decided to get something done, and went off to the Tri James Gravel pit, and picked up two loads of stones for our driveway, making it wider and some for our road, where the grass was beginning to take over.  Getting ready for winter I suppose.  When I finished, the wind had died, so both Evie and I went out to read and relax on the dock, the sun warm, almost hot. Around 5:00, we both jumped in the lake, algae free, so nice that we could see the bottom at the end of our dock. It was so nice that we stayed out and I went in and got us a beer and pretzels.  By 6;00, the wind had died, the lake was empty, so we both decided to take a kayak paddle, off to Long Point and then to Wells Bay and back.   At this hour the sun is so bright that it's difficult to paddle west on the lake, so we paddled hard to get in the shade, close to the docks, where the trees act as a barrier.
Kayak Afternoon: 6:30
By 7:00, we were back in our house and Evie warmed up the shrimp and pasta from Friday, made a salad and we were ready to watch the Red Carpet show for the Emmy's, then the Emmy's until about 10:00 when we both got tired of the same shows and people winning the awards.  What a bore.  I am heavy into my John Le Carre novel, so I couldn't wait to get upstairs to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...