Monday, August 18, 2014

Sittin' On The Dock All Day

6:50
A heavy fog this morning, as I was up by 6:50 and it may be even thicker at 7:35.  I did see a fishing boat motor out around 7:00, fade into the fog, a bit scary but there's probably few other fools on the lake this early.  It looks like another dock day, lots of sun, moderate  temperatures, in the 70's, before the rains come tomorrow.
A Morning Made For Kayaking
We started yesterday with a long kayak paddle, down to Whitney Bay and back. Unfortunately, the water was algae ridden much of the way though in front of our dock, we have been fortunate to have much clearer water, not sure why.  Anyways, it was a tough paddle, fighting the wind and waves, until we gained the protection from Prendergast Point.  We were back by noon, so Evie made breakfast of a bagel and menemen (Turkish omelet), and we ate it on the dock.  And, to be honest, Evie hardly left the dock the rest of the day, luxuriating in the fine weather, warm but not hot, a good book, occasionally jumping in the lake or fishing off the dock.

Evie With Her Record Setting Muskie
I would occasionally join her but took breaks from the sun, to kayak and fish down towards Wells Bay, again in gross algae filled water.  And, of course, I had no luck, not even a bite.  I wonder if the fish can see my lure through the floating algae.  And around 4:30,  I took a pre prandial walk through the Woodlawn/Victoria woods, something  I have been doing every day this past week.  A brief walk in the woods acts like therapy, mellowing your mood.
Victoria Woods
Around 5:30, we sat on the porch, enjoying a beer, some left over triple cream Brie, thinking how lucky and grateful we are to live in such a picturesque spot on Lake Chautauqua.  We had brisket, baked potatoes and a salad for dinner, and continue to catch up on various TV series that we have missed over the past three weeks.  And Evie was eager to get back to her book, me to Bernie Gunther in Nazi Germany, so we went to bed around 10:00.

I am going to start once again with yoga for the next month.  It will be good to get back in a routine though I want to get some hikes in as well.  In fact, I have made a list of things I want to do over the next month, like spend a day at Presque Isle, an afternoon at Barcelona Beach, collecting rocks, even a day trip to Canada.  We will have to see if we do any of them.  I am optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...