Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Gray, Dreary Morning

6:24
8:04
It’s 7:00 and I have been trying to get on line, with no luck, and called Time Warner to let them know the Internet is down but no luck.  The number is always busy.  Not good news.  It’s overcast, hazy, and cooler, though it did not rain last night as forecast.  Perhaps this morning as it’s supposed to get cooler over the next few days. Quick note...it's 7:20 and the Internet just came on.  Yippee---life is good, again.


Yesterday, and I know I keep saying it, but it was a perfect day, sunny, warm not hot, a slight breeze occasionally to cool you off if it got too hot.  Our electrician was supposed to come early to put in new smoke alarms but by the time I left for yoga, he still had not arrived.  Yoga was fine, just the two of us but it’s good to be getting back in a routine.  Courtney told me a new vegetarian restaurant had opened in the Stedman Corners Coffee shop so I checked it out but the one at Stedman Corners had not changed.  Perhaps she meant the coffee shop where Super Duper used to be.  When I got home, Evie had put together a moussaka, using leftovers from the past few days and an eggplant.  Around 11:00, the electrician arrived, and within an hour, had put in the fire alarms, crawled under our house to see if he could find the electric line that goes into the garage, and mentioned a couple of things I should keep an eye on, the ceiling beginning to weather or rot where the hose for our well goes into the house, and some small puddles of water on the floor, probably a result of condensation.  No luck with an easy fix for the line to the garage. While he was working Evie decided to try her French baguette recipe from years ago, and put it together, to let it rise, just before she went out for her afternoon on the dock.  

When our electrician left, I decided to make my bread, a healthy round no knead loaf which we really like, with quinoa, flax seed, and oats, healthy and tasty.  I put it together quickly and this morning, I have a huge sponge of bread, ready to be baked any time.  I had leftover koftes and sauce for lunch, watched some Sports Center and US Open tennis, then read, napped because it seemed to hot to go outside.  Around 3:00, it seemed cooler so I went out to read on the dock.  Evie was on the phone talking, to both Beth, then Dot, her step mother, who lives in Scottsdale.  After a half hour  I was starting to sweat so I jumped into the lake, the water as clear as its been all summer.  Go figure.  

Taking A Break At Long Point
When Evie got off the phone, we both decided to get active.  Evie wanted to cut the lawn, and I wanted to ride my bike in Bemus, so we decided to meet in an hour and a half, on the dock, for a beer, pretzels, and blue cheese dip, a goal for the afternoon.  My ride though Bemus, Lakeside Drive, and Long Point was great, and took about an hour.  Bemus is starting to get quiet though this weekend, it will pick up, then settle down for good after Labor Day.  When I got back, Evie was almost done with the lawn, so I uncorked a Corona, got out the pretzels and dip, and went out on the dock, followed by Evie within 15 minutes.  We loved the dock, at this hour, no breeze, comfortably warm, blue waters, clear sky and only an occasional neighbor paddling by in their kayaks.  
Black Locust Bike/Hiking Trail
About 7:00, we jumped in the refreshing and clear water, to invigorate ourselves, then went in to have our moussaka dinner, which was ready, bubbly with a crusty top.  With the French bread, buttered of course, and moussaka, we were in Chautauqua heaven.  We watched, I hate to admit, for the first hour, the Joan Rivers rift of the Emmy Awards dresses worn by various actresses.  She is vulgar, nothing is sacred, but she makes us both laugh out loud, embarrassed at times to do so, as are her colleagues.  We also watched a couple of week old Stewart and Colbert before going up to bed to read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...