Saturday, August 30, 2014

Bright Sun, Glistening Lake, And Windy


7:11 
Slept in some, till 7:10, came downstairs to a living room filled with sunlight, a ruffled lake surface, and a morning much warmer than yesterday's 48º.  It's supposed to get hot today, in the 80's, then rain tonight, something we need as it has not rained in at least a week.

Yesterday was delicious, sunny but cool, a perfect fall day in late August.  And the morning sky, now my blog photograph, was glorious, small puffs of clouds, like Zeus dropped cotton balls down from Mt. Olympus.  And I did not have to leave for yoga until 9:10 because I convinced Eight Limbs Yoga Studio to move their Friday class from 8:15 to 9:30, making everyone happy.  A couple of new students even came, and one had never been in a yoga class before but seemed to love it.  After class, I went to Ryder's for a cup of coffee, then went across the street to a house that sells and makes stained glass.  I have seen the sign for years but never went in to the house/shop.  I met the couple who own it and both make the stained glass.  Both are retired, and I talked with the wife for about 15 minutes, as she showed me everything in the store as well as some photographs of stained glass panels they made for a house in Chautauqua institution.  I want to go back with Evie because she would love browsing it as well because it also has lots of miniatures, dishes, antiques.

I then went to pick up my bike at Hollyloft but it was not ready even though they told me it would be ready yesterday.  They don't remember telling me that.  I asked the owner when they stopped selling kayaks because I bought my Pongo from them and was not sure how old it was.  He estimated he stopped 15 years ago, so my kayak is at least that old, an antique, old and ugly but still serviceable.

I stopped at Aldi's because they had sunflower birdseed for a good price, picked up some cheap items, mostly canned stuff like black beans, thirty or forty cents cheaper than Wegmans.  We will have to see the quality but it is usually quite good.  When I got home, Evie was already on the dock, in a fleece and wrapped in a blanket because of the coolness, reading her Richard Russo novel.  And that was about it for the rest of the day.  A brief respite for cauliflower soup and a cheese sandwich, and I joined her on the dock, and we spent the afternoon, going back and forth, enjoying the sun, coming in for some water or a respite and then back out.  I did go for a paddle because the lake was so blue, the sky so clear despite the wind and ended up working up a sweating because Long Point protected me from the wind, making it much warmer than on our dock.  Go figure.
The Comfort Of A Vista That Never Seems To Change (thankfully) - Tom's Point and Bemus Point
View From Our Porch, 7:52
Around 6:00, we relaxed on the porch for over an hour, sipping a couple of glasses of vino, taking photos of the lake, as the sun lingered on various coast lines on the opposite shore.  It was a  great way to end the day.  We had the leftover moussaka for dinner, with a salad, just as good as two nights ago and watched a movie that radio host Michael Smerconish thought was the best political/presidential movie ever made, with Jeff Bridges as the President, Joan Allen as the Vice Presidential candidate.  Both battle the opposing party who dredge up all kinds of rumors and accusations about Allen's early life, none true but she refuses to refute them because she believes one's personal life is none of anyone's business.  It seems dated and implausibly idealistic and moral for today's disgusting world of politics.  It was, however, comforting to view a politician who is willing to stand up for what she believes in, even if it costs her the Vice Presidency. She extols the attitudes and beliefs I embrace, few of which  are in the vanguard of today's world,  things like a clear separation between church and state.  We both  liked it,  recommend it; it reminded me of the TV series The West Wing, a liberal interpretation no doubt but a President who you can admire.

2 comments:

  1. That's funny, we listened to that Michael S. show the day we drove home from Chautauqua and want to watch that movie too! That was a good segment about presidential movies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...