Thursday, August 28, 2014

An Autumn Sky and Temperature (Kayaking the Chadakoin River with Evergreen Outfitters)

7:02
Our Friendly Neighborhood Crooked Bill Duck
 Puffy clouds, a 52º temperature welcomed me when I got up this morning at 6:30.  At the moment, 8:04, the lake shimmers, reflecting the sun, the flags waving in the breeze.  A good day to be outside and, fortunately, we are taking our kayaks to Cassadaga Lake, where we will kayak as well as visit Lily Dale, leaving around noon, after my yoga class.

Yesterday began with an overcast morning, a slow wake up, before driving off to yoga at 10:00.  Any earlier and it seems like I rush my morning.  After yoga, I stopped and got a coffee at Ryder's, then dropped my bike off at Hollyloft and found I need a new chain and gears, both worn out after six years of use.  I guess its about time.  I then did some quick shopping at Wegman's before heading home as it began to clear up, heralding another sunny and warm afternoon on the dock.  I stopped, unfortunately, at the new vegetarian restaurant, also Stedman Coffee, and ordered a falafel wrap.  I was one of three people in the restaurant but it took 15 minutes to get my wrap, the kitchen help looking as if they had no idea what they were doing.  It was small and they forgot the tazikiki sauce. Never to to a newly open restaurant!  This one won't be open long I fear.

When I got home, my bread, which I put in the oven just before I left, was sitting on the rack, looking great.  Evie baked it an extra ten minutes, making sure the internal temperature was up to 200º before taking it out.  I had my wrap, and Evie went out on the dock, to enjoy her book and the afternoon, much like the last few days.  We want to take advantage of the fine weather while it lasts.  I joined her eventually, but did not stay long, as I get tired of sitting in the sun.  That's about it for our afternoon, lunch, reading on the dock, eventually a swim for Evie before coming in around 4:30, to get our kayaks out of the water and on the roof rack of our car as we were going on a evening paddle on the Chadakoin River with the Evergreen Outfitters.  We had a quick but tasty dinner, an omelet with my bread, toasted, and both were great.  We drove to the McCrea Landing in downtown Jamestown, arriving around 6:30 and were surprised to see at least twenty kayaks already in the water, waiting to begin  their journey up the river.  We took our kayaks off the rack, parked the car, and joined the gaggle of kayaks.

Ready to Kayak
An Old Great Blue Heron

One of the boats was appointed the leader and about twenty six of us paddled off, along the dense woods of the river, with occasional homes or cottages but mostly a swamp like paddle, reminding me of some of the scenes from the movie DELIVERANCE. We could go at our own pace, but most stayed together and I struck up a conversation with a woman who had driven here from Olean, to be part of the group.  She is an avid hiker and biker as well, and was interesting to talk to.  After an hour, everyone but Evie and I turned around, as we wanted to meander back, allowing the other twenty four to get their kayaks out of the water before us.  The leader of our group, however, waited for us as we took our time.  We finally convinced him to let us be, that we knew the way, had a head lamp, so he took off.  When we arrived at the launch, he was waiting there, just as the last kayak was taken out of the water. Perfect timing.  When we got our boats out, one of the leaders thanked us for coming, pretty nice.

Reflections at 8:15 PM on Chadakoin River





On the way home, Evie suggested we stop at The Swamp, for a beer, a mistake as I feared but Evie wanted to stop.  Imagine stopping in a moldy, smelly basement, underwater this past spring and you have the decor of The Swamp, perfectly named.  Only two people at the bar, we ordered a beer, and I refused to drink out of a glass though Evie dared to drink out of one.  The barmaid, however, was very talkative, fun in fact, and we talked with her for twenty minutes.  She told us all about their Buffalo wings, which are supposed to be quite good if you can stand the smell of the joint.

The Infamous Swamp
We were glad to get out, safely, with no infections, and rewarded ourselves with a Big Mac and fries at Mc Donald's.  For a fast food, almost empty restaurant, it was not very fast.  We got home around 9:45, after our varied and exciting night out on the river, the swamp, and the fast food restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...