Saturday, December 17, 2011

Winter's Arrived: Cold, A Dusting of Snow, Angry Lake

8:00 AM

Dry Docked
A gray, gray morning, dusting of snow, 27 degrees, not very inviting for a hike.  I am listening, as usual, to Only A Game on NPR.  It looks both stormy and foggy on the lake, only a few gulls seem to be flitting in the sky, a couple of buffle heads diving.  We have the luxury of the next two days to get ready for our trip to visit Jill and family for Christmas, leaving on Monday early.  The girls are excited, a bit upset because we did not come for the weekend.  Hayden, Jill's ten year old, called me yesterday on Face Time, something I am still not used to.  My computer buzzes or rings lightly, I look around the room trying to figure out where the noise is coming from, finally realize its from my computer, open it and I have missed the call.  I call back, and there's Hayden, on her Itouch, ready to talk, show me here room, especially her book shelf, filled with her favorite books.  She loves to read.  I love it, of course.  Can't wait to see them all.
Dinner with Heils

We went out last night with Gene and Trouty Heil, old friends from our Bud's days, and had dinner at Olive's restaurant in the Chautauqua Suites.  A really quite good meal (prime rib and chicken Marsala), a good time, catching up on what's happened to us both in the last ten years.  We saw them last about 10 years ago at their Holiday Party.  They both were in good spirits, healthy now, as Gene had a new hip replaced six weeks ago and is up and about, with little problem.  Amazing.  He's a builder, brags that he can still lay three or four hundred cement blocks a day at 72 and I believe him.  He's always been an energetic guy.  We talked lots about grandchildren, as he has 17, most from a previous marriage, and Trouty has a couple as well.  We vowed to get together again in February as they head to Myrtle Beach for the month of January.

Olives, the restaurant, was decorated for Christmas, looked quite nice and was missing only one thing--- People.  In a restaurant that seats probably over a hundred, we were the only patrons on a Friday night!  One wonders how they survive, as this ought to be a big night, at least have some parties.  Fortunately, Gene and Trouty knew the waitress (they seem to know everyone), so we got first class service and had a great evening.  We went about 6:00 and were home by 8:30 which seemed odd, to be back that early but we were ready, as were they.

I just saw a fishing boat, fighting the waves off of Long Point, hoping to catch a few walleyes before the lake ices over.  It looks like something you might see off the coast of Maine in January, windy, wet, cold and miserable.  I am happy to be cosy in my living room, not out on the lake though I do admire the fisherman's pluck or gumption.  Wish I had more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...