Friday, November 13, 2015

A Fickle Morning Sky


6:46
7:35

8:05
It's 7:30 and it's been raining on and off during the night, perhaps an inch in the past 24 hours.  The winds have died down for the moment, the lake surprisingly calm, a slash of coral over Bemus the only brightness in the sky.  It's 43º out and won't get much warmer, with snow a possibility for tomorrow, Saturday, when we begin our drive West.

To be utterly honest, nothing really happened yesterday as we both more or less took the day off.  I did begin the day with a fun breakfast with the guys, five of us, the regulars, catching up on the local buzz about the rebuilding of the Chautauqua Institution Amphitheater, a never ending story.  And most of us think that Rubio will likely be the Republican nominee.  We generally stay away from politics, a smart move.

Kinney's Trail
I was home by 9:15, in time to start thinking about our trip but doing little.  About 10:30, I had to get outside, so I took a quick walk through the Woodlawn/Victoria woods in drizzle, the kind of rain that wets only fools, those who don't bring an umbrella like me.   Before lunch, I did do more research on both Nashville and New Orleans and was able to come up with a couple of self guided tours for both cities.  I don't think it will be hard to find a place to eat or drink, or go listen to music.  There are plenty of recommendations.  So our evenings will be easy; the problem is what to do during the day, whether to drive off somewhere or just pick out some walks.  I think we both prefer walks, taking in the venues that can be accessed mostly by foot.  So I have a pretty good idea for what to do.  My only question: can Evie track our walk on her iPhone, on Maps, so we know exactly where we will be at the moment, where to go.  It will be interesting to find out.  Because of GPS, I seem to have lost my ability to find my way without it.  I drove through Europe for seven years, through almost all of the major cities and towns, without getting lost, using maps.  And now I have trouble going anywhere with out my GPS to guide me.  Pathetic because I have always loved looking at maps, planning a journey.  Now all I have to do is plug in address in my car and say GO.

Lunch was the end of the chickpea stew and a toasted cheese sandwich, with jam of course, then another episode of Longmire, some reading and a nap.  Meanwhile, Evie was finishing up packing and packing goodies for snacks along the way.  Around 3:00, I decided to get out and drove into Lakewood, to the bank, now open, where I waited for ten minutes because they were having computer problems.  I got my Pilot washed, got a coffee, came home and put my Subaru in the garage because heavy winds were expected.  And that was it for the day.

A Leafless, Transparent Long Point 2:29
Around 5:30, we sat down for our pre prandial glass or glasses of wine, and laughed about our lazy day.  We had the leftover moussaka for dinner, always better the next day for some reason, along with brussel spouts which don't seem to go with moussaka but I like them, so Evie first steamed then roasted them and they were 'terrific.'  We watched the final episode of a good PBS series called The Guilty. The Chief Inspector, a woman, is really convincing.  It's a who done it with a twist at the end, well worth watching.  I went up early to read because I want to finish my book, TALK, before we leave.  About 40 pages to go today so it should be no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...