Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A Gray and Dreary Morning

7:00
8:30
It's after 8:00 and I am starting my blog late, the morning blues I suppose, like the gray morning.  I slept in till 7:00, and it did rain a bit last night, more to come during the day.  So far, no action on the lake, not even a fishing boat, as most are still hunkered down in their homes.

Yesterday was overcast and we spent much of the day waiting for rain which never really came. Why do we pay attention to the forecast and let it shape not only our day but moods.  We have no control over it, so why think or worry about it.  Que sera, sera.  I was thinking of going to the Chautauqua Institution to hear the morning lecture but ended up taking my car into the my mechanic at 9:00, for a safety check, a yearly task, which the 2000 Accord passed with flying colors.  And, again, at 2:30 I took in my Honda Pilot and it too passed, so I have that out of the way for another year.  Little things like this pile up, seemingly one each week or fortnight, appointments that you have to do that are onerous, not earth shaking.

We did not do much the rest of the day, other than Evie getting up enough energy to cut the lawn. Since it rained a whisper, we spent some time on the dock reading, or in the house napping (me) and reading.  Our lives seem always seem empty when company leaves for a few days before we get back into the routine of living alone.  I am always looking for something to do, like going to the store or like yesterday, taking both cars in.  That will soon end.

Pork And Vegetable Stir Fry
Around 5:00, we both had a hankering for a stir fry, so we got out lots of vegetables, a leftover pork chop, hot bean sauce, garlic and ginger, and put together the stir fry before sitting out on the porch for a glass of wine and some appetizers.  We ate dinner around 7:00 and watched a movie I heard mentioned on a radio program called Grace of My Heart.  It was made in 1996, and it was based loosely on the life of Carol King, though it was hard to tell.  It was worth watching if you have nothing else on the tube, not great but interesting and some outstanding performances.  The best part of the night, however, was watching PBS's A Few Good Pie Places, an hour long program that went around the US looking for pie places.  Interestingly, it began with Portage Pies, a pie place about ten miles from us in Westfield, NY, that we have been frequenting since it opened.  It made me want to make a pie, in fact, I looked up Indiana's Sugar Cream pie, saved it, but could not find Seattle's, A La Mode's Blue Hawaiian Pie.  And hey, Maine's Vickie and Ron, if you read this, they featured the Two Cats Bakery in Portland which sounded great.  It was a fun way to end the day, thinking of pies. In fact, while we were watching, Evie got up and brought in dessert, some of her blueberry/nectarine crisp, five days old but still luscious.

It's after 9:00 and raining, a good day to fish or make a pie or bread or do nada.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...