Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ten Below, Not Your Typical Saturday Morning

6:56
7:37
I was up at 6:20, checked the temperature and was shocked to see it was so cold because a couple of guys were fishing on the lake.  It's now 7:15 and I can see five guys out there though two are heading back to shore.  It looks like a very cold day, with a partly cloudy sky.

Yesterday was mostly a carbon copy of the day before.  I did get up early, so I could go to yoga at 8:15 with Courtney.  I was one of three students on this very cold morning but was glad I went.  Evie had decided to stay home, more cookies to make, this time cut out Valentine cookies, using a new recipe from our summer neighbor Pat Jones.  When I got home, she was fast into the cookie making, the kitchen littered with flour, cookies, baking sheets, mixing bowls, a roller, the oven buzzing, a chaos with a sweet, happy ending.  O yea, in between cookie baking, she also made a vegetable soup for lunch, a busy girl while I played at yoga.

At 12:30, we drove off to Lakewood, Evie to work out at the YMCA, me for an eye doctor appointment, my yearly check up.  Everything was fine, my sight about the same so I don't need new glasses unless I want to be cool.  I remember my Dad wearing a pair of rimless granny glasses for ages, and got rid of them just as they came back into fashion.  Probably happen to me.  After picking Evie up from working out, we did a quick walk through of Wegman's, if there is such a thing, mailed some cookies off to grandchildren, and got home around 3:00.  I wanted to get in some exercise but had little mojo, used the excuse it was too cold and stayed inside reading, munching on Valentine cookies.

Webb's was having a wine tasting event at 6:00 so we drove over to the McClures, picked them up, and fortunately, there were empty seats at the bar, so sat down and sampled a number of wines from Australia and snacked on free appetizers.  We were given a card, with five categories, to grade each wine.  I cannot say any of us know much about wine but we did our best to grade each vintage, with the cabernet/shiraz coming off on top.  Around 7:30, we went back to McClures for a barbecue sandwich made with chip chop ham.  Neither one of us had ever had this type of sandwich before, a Pittsburgh area speciality.  Really tasty.  We watched the opening of the Winter Olympics, not very impressive and sat through the team introductions until the US walked out, in their over the top sweaters (reminding me of NASCAR drivers), and then went home, on a bitter cold evening, to read, watch TV, and to bed.  Another fun night with the Mc Clures.

Quotation for the day:

"Sometimes it is better to be kind than to be right.  We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...