Friday, August 16, 2013

Heavy Fog and A Chilly 47º

7:00
Up at 7:00, no coffee in the jar, so I had to hunt around the pantry and open a new can of Folgers, our 'specialty coffee' of choice.  I walked outside and could hardly see beyond the dock the fog was so heavy though it did not feel that cold.  I was hoping to go kayaking early but I will have to wait for the sun to burn off the fog.  A fishing boat just went by the dock and we could hardly see it.

Yesterday morning, I went again to the Chautauqua Institute to listen to the speaker, this time a young woman named Ozlem Denizmen, a Vice President of Dogus Group, a Holding Company, a television personality, writer, and Internet entrepreneur.  She was another great ambassador for Turkey, articulate, intelligent, modern, tech savvy and vivacious.  And she was optimistic about the changing role of women in Turkey though she admitted things are changing slowly.  She has a weekly TV show, on financial literacy for women, the Maria Bartiromo of Turkey.  The audience really seemed to enjoy her very personal talk, gave her a standing ovation at the end of her talk which is rare.  I did speak with her briefly afterwards, and she was very personable, approachable, gave me her card, and knew lots of Robert College graduates.  When the talk was over, as people were walking out, two older ladies came up to me, pointing their finger, asking, 'Are you the whirling dervish we saw last night at the Amphitheater's  Turkish Music and Dance Program?'  I had to admit that I wasn't though I did say I lived in Turkey for seven years.  Hilarious. Maybe I can have a new life as a dervish.
With Turkish TV personality, Ozlem Denizmen
I then went to the CI library, took out a couple of books, another one on bread, what else and did some shopping in Mayville, at the Hardware store.  When I got home, I had lunch then inspired by a bread recipe and the coolness of the afternoon, I put together another no knead bread recipe, no fail supposedly, with oats, flax seeds, and quinoa.  I will let you know how it does today when I bake it. Evie is not optimistic as I have tried this type numerous times and it ends up being a flat loaf, not rising for some reason.  This time, however, it's going to rise!
The Many Colors in  Evie's Garden
Evie finished up cutting the yard, did some edging and we both commented on how amazing both the front and back yards look this time of year.  Usually the grass has browned out some but not this year and all the flowers are wild and happy with the rain and sun, our back yard like a cottage garden gone wild.
Our Menu for the Night

At 6:00, we went over to the Mc Clures for dinner.  We sat out side, around a fire, for our beers and appetizers before going in when it became too cool, for a great dinner, lentil and eggplant soup, lamb chops and corn, both grilled by Mr. Ron, and a salad.  It was  a fun night; we looked at some pictures of their trip to Spain and Germany, with the promise of more to come.  We stayed until 9:45 and went home on surprisingly empty roads, to watch some TV and read before going to bed.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...