Thursday, August 29, 2013

Finally, A Sun Rise But Still Hot and Humid

Up at 6:40, just in time to see the sunrise, just to the south of the tip of Long Point, as it continues its journey towards Wells Bay.  I can already feel the humidity in the air, a dampness though not unpleasant yet.  It's 62º, high will get in the 80's later in the day.  The good news is that we did not have this weather when the kids were here.

6:40

6:50

Yesterday I jumped back into my old routine, starting the day with yoga with Elise.  It felt good to get back to doing some exercising and stretching.  We had six people in class, basically the group that gathered much of last year but not during the summer, so it was good to see them again.  Most were busy during the summer and now they have time to return to class.  One, Lauren, mentioned he is now bar tending at Bellino's, the bar at Chautauqua Suites, that they have music on Wednesday's and Friday's from 6:00 to 9:00.  I felt great after yoga, stopped for coffee at Ryder's, then went to Home Depot to pick up a few items.

It was hot and humid through the day, not the kind of weather that makes you want to do anything, so we took it easy most of the day, Evie doing some fishing, me kayaking for an hour, and I even caught a bass on my first cast.  We have decided to hang a couple of our copper trays on our walls, one in the kitchen, one in the living room.  Only one, however, has a hook so I had to find someone who could either fasten a hook on the back of the tray.  I stopped at Mayville Dock Works, opposite the Lighthouse, but John said it could not be done.  So I ended up stopping by Dave Ward's machine shop, a guy who seems to be able to do anything.  When I go there, he was busy fixing a grape picking machine.  I showed him what I needed and he said it would be no problem.  He loved the tray, said it was hammered out by hand and very old.  He should have it done by Friday.  Amazing and interesting guy.  He also, by the way, built a trailer for my neighbor, Bud Kinney's sailboat.
King Fisher

On my way back from Home Depot, I stopped by Jeremy's and picked up some corn and tomatoes, near the Hadley Bay Restaurant.  He mentioned that the raccoons are doing on a job on his corn, ripping the top off, then moving on to the next ear.  I guess you cannot kill them; they are not in season though a friend a few years ago shot 36 raccoons in an attempt to save his corn field.  They can be pests no doubt.  Anyways, we had the corn and spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, with cole slaw and watched some TV.  We tried the new Netflix series Orange Is The New Black and were not taken with it, mostly because it's set in a women's prison and, obviously, can be vulgar at times.  So we watched some old Super Pass Word shows, with Bert Convey, still fun to watch.  I finally finished THE INTERESTINGS by Meg Wolitzer and really liked it.  I highly recommend it.  And I started a Harlan Coben thriller, a writer I have never read. This one revolves around a murder of a tennis player during the US Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...