Wednesday, September 7, 2011

More Clouds, Rain, Wind

Birthday dinner at Nic L Inn


It's been fall like the last couple of days, lots of gray skies, but little rain other than Sunday night when we got almost an inch.  It's going to stay in the 60's most of the day, in fact, the week or so it sounds.  Rain is forecast for today and tomorrow.  We are thinking of heading up to Niagara Falls Country Club tomorrow, weather permitting, as Mike Cassell, our good friend from Hudson, is playing his second round in the Senior Porter Cup.  We went up around this time last year and it's a beautiful spot, the club's  veranda overlooks the Niagara River.  It won't be much fun, however, if it rains.

Last night, Ron and Linda took us out to dinner to the Nic L Inn in South Valley, just out side of Frewsburg.  Evie and I had been there three or four times but not in the past ten or fifteen years, and Ron and Linda had never been there.  We all loved it, our meals, the ambiance, the good conversation, the ride through this amazing, almost European looking valley.  We all had different dishes, each excellent, so it was a really good night.  We will be sure to go back, especially in the fall, with the colors, and will try to eat in the bar, which has a great fire place.  It's nice to find a restaurant that seems worth paying a bit more for a dinner though I  didn't pay!  For my birthday,they gave me an apron, for my bread making, as well as a few cotton towels, also for storing my bread during its rise.  Cool gifts, as usual.

We kind of vegged out yesterday, after our walk in the morning but it felt good.  Evie's major effort was to continue roasting and freezing tomatoes...I worked on my cairn, gathering rocks but I think it will be always a work in progress.  I will take a picture and put it on tomorrow.

Today, we are more energetic, as Evie may do some painting, of our new shelves, me sanding, and working outside by putting in some of our new plants.  We still need a good overall plan for our yard as each year we end up moving a plant that we had planted the year before.  I suppose that's normal.

I just finished cutting the lawn before the afternoon rains, and Evie's been reorganizing our bathroom closets, a chore no doubt.  We are going for a walk in the neighborhood, down along the lake, up to the new house towards Giarizzo's, then through the woods to the main road.  Let's hope it doesn't rain.

We just finished our walk, ate lunch, salad and fresh corn, read some, watched Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, then headed off to a nearby creek to pick up some more stones.  I came back with about twenty of them, various shapes, some I could hardly pick up.  Fortunately, I did not hurt my back but now I have an array of shapes so I can continue to experiment with my cairns.  I put up a second but neither have involved much thought or aesthetics, if there is such a thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...