Friday, February 25, 2011

Three or Four Inches Overnight, Five to Seven More to Come: Yippee

I woke to a snow storm of a sorts, with the car covered, the wind blowing hard, and the weather man saying another 5-7 inches can be expected during the day.  It's the kind of day we love, snowy and windy outside, warm and cosy inside with a dinner in the oven, filling the house with good smells and warmth.  Now we have to figure out what we want to cook!  I hope we can get outside today, even if its just walking in the campground or woods in our snow shoes.  These days, cold and snowy, are numbered as spring marches forward, less than four weeks away.  The snow at the moment is very wet, as its around 26 degrees out, though it's going fall as the day wanes, perhaps into the low teens.  No plan for the day, perhaps a trip to CI's library, a walk in the Institute, but that's about it.

It's 2:40 and its still snowing; I would imagine we have had well over a foot since early morning, as I shoveled the walk a few times, and will probably have to go out again in an hour or so.  I did go snow shoeing for about 45 minutes, bush whacking through the woods (following not road or trail) and it was wonderful.  I love it when it's virgin snow, the trees are layered, the pines hung with white frosting, and no one is around.  And when it snows as you walk, it's even better, as it blocks out everything except for your consciousness of the outside beauty.  It was also warmer than I thought and the wind, though fairly wild and heavy today, did not seem to bother me in the woods up behind Pine Hill.  I liked it so much I may go out again before it gets too dark.  It's nice not having to go anywhere, as I mentioned, cosy in a nice warm house, with a good book, some good movies, food, and lots of leisure.  Not having to do anything is a wonderful thing at times though, like anything, it can lead to boredom,  I am not there yet.

I had a pleasant surprise this morning, a phone call from one of my Besiktas teammates, Ates(see picture above with his granddaughter, Lara), from Istanbul.  He just wanted to say hi, and missed seeing Evie and I.  He had been going through some health problems and we had written him a couple of times, so it was great to hear his voice, to know he was doing better. He's the friend who really took care of us in Istanbul, taking us everywhere, buying us things, and so unselfish with him time.  He even used the term 'genem' when referring to me, which translated would be something like 'dear,' really touching.  It's strange because I was just thinking of him this morning and made up my mind I had to send him another note to see how he was doing.  It was so nice to her his voice, to know he missed us.  Time to make some Turkish tea, to remind me of our visit, and sit down with a good book.

Just got back from another snow shoe hike in the woods, but finished by walking down to the lake, and going home out on the lake, during a mild blizzard;  I felt like Shackleton as he and his men struggled to make it to the pole.  I could see maybe twenty five yards ahead, mostly white out, the snow covered lake, and the shoreline, which I was easily able to follow.  The wind was behind, so it was not too bad walking home on the lake.  We are now sitting listening to the Doctors talk about cholesterol on Sirius radio, as we have our nightly constitutional, a glass or two or red wine, and read the newspaper or read a book before heading to the kitchen.  Fortunately, tonight with have both leftover pot roast and spaghetti, so Evie gets to relax, the good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...