Saturday, February 26, 2011

Ten Degrees and Sunny

Another surprisingly cold morning, though the sun's out, the tree's are frosted with ice, and it looks like another beautiful Saturday morning.  There's very little action on the lake yet, perhaps because it's so cold, just one or two fishermen out there in their tents off of Long Point.  If I want to cross country ski today, I need a snow mobile to drive by and make a nice path, otherwise it's slogging through foot deep snow, quite a work out.  I think I'll wait a bit for it to warm up before I venture out although there's no wind so far, quite a difference from yesterday when it was often wild outside, winds up to 35 miles an hour.

I have noticed that not too many birds have been a the feeder this morning, in contrast to yesterday when it was quite busy.  I did notice a red headed hawk the other day, sitting in the maples, so I wonder if he's back looking for breakfast.  Maybe it's too cold or too early for them because they don't feed when it's dark, just wait, like most of us, for the sun to rise before sitting down to breakfast.

After an initial early morning sun, it clouded up and we are back to Chautauqua gray. with occasional snow flakes, and a warming, as it's 30 degrees, just a I came in from cross country skiing for a bit.  The snow was not at its best, a bit wet, leaving tracks of water in the snow as I went, but it was better when I was able to find some snow mobile tracks, down towards Giarizzo's.  We worked out this morning as well, from 11:00-12:00 and stopped at CI's library to return a few books, pick up Infidel, a biography I have been wanting to read, of an amazing African woman, who ends up in Holland, I think, a virulent anti Muslim, who teamed up with Van Gogh to make a film about Islam's fanatics which got Van Gogh assassinated, and she had to go into hiding, and still must,  I think.  Of course, I picked up perhaps the last Jack Reacher I haven't read though I might find one or two left in other libraries.  A back up in case I get bored with Infidel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...