Saturday, February 19, 2011

High Winds and Blizzard Like Snow

As the photograph suggests, we had a full moon last night, hanging high over Bemus Bay, a rare sight in a winter of clouds and gray.  I went off to the Seezuhr House last night with some of the neighbors, as Evie stayed home because of her gum surgery.  They were up for a ski weekend and thought I might like to come along and share my stories of b-ball in Turkey.  Two are the sons of the neighbors, Kenny Schotlz and Tommy Broeren.  Both are fanatical sports fans, both are or were associated with Penn State, though Kenny played football at Bucknell, a couple of years after Tommy played there.  There parents are the Millers and Scholtz's, and the two wives are sisters, have been coming up here for years.  I shared my stories about my basketball life, then Kenny talked about playing at Bucknell, Tom about his high school days, and Ken, the senior, about playing both in high school and college at Westminster.  I can only say that as we get older, we get better!  All four of us had the fish fry, just as good as usual, a couple of pitchers of Labatt's Blue, and  Seezuhr House was crowded, making it a fun night.  They are off to Holymont, to ski, though it's  going to be really cold and windy, again up to 40 mph.

Well, spring is over, as the 50 degree weather has given way to temperatures in the 20's, a perfect day for the Mayville Snow Festival, involving ice castles, polar swim, broom games, food, a bonfire and music. I doubt if we go because of Evie, perhaps tomorrow we can go walk around a bit.  We were not to taken with it last year, as it was full of mostly snowmobiliers, often quite inebriated, whizzing around, though the bonfire and lighting of the Ice Palace sounds cool.  We will see how things go today.  Right now I have to get ready for my weekly run to the Trash depot.  I guess that's how I measure my weeks, by the times I hit the North Harmony Station.

Robbie Austin and his family are coming over today after lunch.  He is up for the weekend and wrote to see if they could stop by.  It's been a couple of years since we have seen them so it will be fun to see how  grown up his kids are.  I think the oldest,  Jack, is at least as old as Nick or Mitchell.

I hope that Tommy and Nick are getting good weather up at Big Sky, as they should be there by now, skiing the slopes.  Beth and Rami should arrive tomorrow,  Sunday, perhaps around late afternoon, after an early flight out of New York; they have to get up at 3:00 in the morning to get to the airport for their flight West, arriving finally in Bozeman, MT, where they rent a car, shop, and drive about an hour to Big Sky, where they will meet up with Tommy and Nick for a couple of days.  Beth and Rami will stay till next Monday and I think Tom and Nick have to leave this Monday, in two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...